Discolored Separators

Decorating By TraciJ Updated 18 Sep 2005 , 5:13pm by TraciJ

TraciJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraciJ Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 12:30am
post #1 of 11

I just got some separators from a lady who is getting out of the baking business. She had a ton of plastic separators but some of them are starting to yellow. I still took them hoping that I could maybe bleach them back to life. Has anyone done this or have any recommendations other than bleach? I worry that it may attack the plastic and make it brittle.

Thanks!
Traci

10 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 12:42am
post #2 of 11

I've seen some that have done this, but I'm not sure if bleaching will work. Maybe someone else can help out that's experienced this problem before icon_smile.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 12:51am
post #3 of 11

I have had some that bleach turned snow white again and made them look like new. Then I have had some that it didn't help @ all! I know that isn't a lot of help. But I know some of the ones it didn't help weren't wilton. They were the smooth edged not scalloped ones.

Well, even if they dont get completely white again you can use them in instances where the cake is going to come right to the edge...lol

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 12:54am
post #4 of 11

I had some luck using a whitening toothpaste.

It sounds crazy but the plastic is porous, like teeth are and the bleach content in the toothpaste isn't too awfully strong, for obvious reasons.

Use a soft toothbrush and gently brush the paste onto the plastic and let it set for a bit. Do a small area first, to see if it will work.

The item I did this on was not overly yellowed.

Hope it works for you.

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 4:41am
post #5 of 11

i lived in an apartment with 3 who smoked in the place - when i moved i used a regular cleaner (windex or a bathroom cleaner) and a rag and cleaned off all my 'white' plastic stuff that had turned yellow. i know not the same thing, but maybe you can try that before the harsh bleaching...

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 5:19am
post #6 of 11

I've read in several different places that they will whiten by putting them out in sunshine, haven't tried it myself, but it is worth a try. I think I'd try that before using the bleach. Janice

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 5:36am
post #7 of 11

I would try soaking them in vinegar 1st. I use vinegar to clean my coffee pot. It works wonders!! I wouldn't use bleach at all. You will have a nasty smell on the pillars & plus that isn't sanitary. Use vinegar~ Also cornstarch is a wonderful cleaner. But I think the vinegar will work just perfect!

KayDay Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 9:47am
post #8 of 11

All restaurants use a little bleach in their dishwater ( the soak water in the sink and granulated crysyals of chlorine bleach in the dishwashers)purpose being to sanitize. I didn't soak mine in straight bleach , I used a hot sinkful of water and a cup of bleach and of course I rinsed them thoroughly so there was nothing left behind but a clean scent. The health Department reccommends it is used continually and even requires that there be cleaning cloths in bleach water @ all times and as I have a legal kitchen, I do so. It never harmed mine. However to each his own. I am sure most of these suggestions will work.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 12:14pm
post #9 of 11

I've seen cake where they cover the pillars with fondant to match the cake!

KayDay Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 11

HEHE...I thought she meant separator plates not columns or pillars...but I guess either would be the same answers. icon_redface.gif

TraciJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraciJ Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got the toothpaste working on one to see. Most of the separators are Wilton so they should be alright. I do have a bunch of columns, but they are still white. icon_rolleyes.gif I'll probably go to the diluted bleach if the toothpaste doesn't work.

Traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%