Attended First Bridal Show

Business By BatterUpCake Updated 28 Aug 2013 , 2:08pm by BatterUpCake

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:55am
post #91 of 97

ABatterUp, you've been getting some great feedback. I am unaware of your price structure, but just so you know, I have purchased two Sarah's stands to rent out through my business to my clients, so there are cake businesses willing to pay shipping overseas. The reason I chose to buy from Sarahs rather than getting a stand built to spec by a local wood turner (50+ years experience with staircase making, wood turning and furniture production) were all the reasons that vgcea mentioned about specific tried and market tested and reputation. Both stands I have are immaculate quality and solid as a rock. They cost me around the same price as ordering the same from my local guy.

I don't think you can provide TOO much information for your potential online customers. In fact, independent testing, IMO, would work best over showing photos of end tables on top of the stand in your own workshop. And in terms of marketing, and reaching your clientele, and carts before horses...you yourself said that you wish to build it slowly...I would be making sure ALL my testing and website details were in order before mass marketing, free giveaways on FB and all that. Why are you champing at the bit to start selling so immediately?

If you'd like to corner a market, then you really need to be getting the ducks in a row, and leaving not a single opportunity for things to screw up. If someone copies you at this stage they may be able to get a jump on your particular style of stand and market it better, and sell it for less and in a more efficient turnaround. Eg. If you have issues with stock production times and delivery, or your website is insufficient to deal with traffic and online enquiries etc.

I believe you could find all the information you need online of contact details of cake businesses in an increasing radius from your city. IMO they are your market. Start close to home and work your way out. Sarah's stands originally did not ship overseas! I had to wait a couple years before I could get one shipped in!

Just my 2 cents. I wish you success in your new endeavour! If you ever want to ship to Australia, I'll be happy to test your stands down under!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 10:42am
post #92 of 97

I have read how Sara started her business. She started making stands and put them on Etsy. She started out slow too, but I am sure she had just as many questions as I do. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask question or get feedback. On here I am just throwing ideas around to get feedback. I am not mass marketing. I am trying to get advice on how to market and who my target market will be. I have no problem shipping anywhere. The only differences are the customs forms, I never understood why small businesses would not ship overseas.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 11:57am
post #93 of 97

AI can never understand overseas vendors refusing to ship outside their country either! Like on ebay...I mean the buyer pays, so what's the problem? Lol

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 11:59am
post #94 of 97

Exactly

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:18pm
post #95 of 97

AJust to clarify wha Evoir was stating. Mass market is a reference to selling to ...well the masses. That means anyone can purchase like from your website.

The suggestion is to sell, rent, give a few stands to people you know we'll or that are local. Once you have a good amount of feedback & adjusting, enlarge the reach to more people. This is a good way of testing the market as well as building a client base.

Although it may no seem like it, you are in fact selling to the masses by offering them on your website.

I think it's a great idea to loan them to a bunch of people in the area. You'll get nice photos & statements while testing stability & quality.

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:50pm
post #96 of 97

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I have plenty to consider. Boy who knew that telling my experience at a bridal show would lead to all of this!

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:08pm
post #97 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Shhhh Mommy and Daddy are talking (arguing). LOL

LOL..I just seen this!! Love it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%