Lactose Free Cake And Frosting

Baking By ninatat Updated 18 Sep 2013 , 8:52pm by shaloop

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 20

Hi i'm sure there is a post, but i searched and didn't get much. i need to make a cake and cupcakes that are lactose free, i need a bc recipe also, that i can use the grass tip for elmo, big bird ect. Thank you

19 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 20

A lot of peoples "butter"cream doesn't contain any butter at all...Not as good but here ya go http://www.chow.com/recipes/10856-vegan-fluffy-buttercream-frosting

ninatat Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 20

thank you it's kind of confusing some had problems, one didn't add the soy milk, it melted on some and many loved it. where do i fine non hydrouenated sp shorting and margaine does it have a name has anyone on here made this. Also i need a cake recipe Thank you

BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 20

Have you tried a google search for a cake recipe? Food.com and allrecipes.com have a star rating and some very good recipes. Shortening is Crisco. If it will be out in the heat then you will want to order hi-ratio shortening. Margarine is just the regular fake butter you find in your grocery.

You can also use 7-miunte frosting as since it contains no dairy http://www.food.com/recipe/no-cook-7-minute-frosting-107841

ninatat Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 20

Hi i just looked at my order has to lactose and gluten free. i bought the mayonagse sp and the rice milk going to try a run through, i read Dunken hines has gluten free mixes but i can's fine any that say it on the box thank you for you input if you find anymore let me know thank you

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 20

Wow...Good luck with that! I would have passed on that order. Maybe someone else can help.

ninatat Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 20

i know i bought rice milk, and veginese one is for the frosting and one is an egg substitute ahhhhhhhh

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 20

sounds yummy icon_redface.gif. Hopefully someone on here can help you.

SkisandBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkisandBakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 20

Google wacky cake. That will give you a good lactose free cake recipe - no eggs, butter/marg or milk. I haven't made it with rice flour but it is my go to cake for our friend with a dairy allergy. If it works for you with rice flour please let me know.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 20

This is the recipe cake recipe I used last month and I was pleased with the flavor.  I used Almond milk.

Chocolate Cake by Ashley Adams

Ingredients:

• 2/3 cup soy milk or other   Like Almond, Coconut or Rice Milk:
  • 1 t. cider vinegar
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs (for vegans or those allergic to eggs, use egg replacer)
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee (for kids, use decaffeinated!)
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free sour cream, such as Tofutti's Sour Supreme
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil and flour 2 9-inch round spring-form cake pans and set aside. In a small mixing bowl or dish, combine the soy milk and cider vinegar until well-mixed. Set aside (mixture will thicken slightly).

2.    In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Create a well in the center of the ingredients. Add the soy milk mixture, eggs (or egg replacer, if using), coffee, dairy-free sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to the well. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the ingredients on a medium-speed setting for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth. (Note: the batter will be rather thin, but this is normal!)

3.    Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes emerges clean. Allow cakes to cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes, then carefully remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool completely on wire cooling racks before layering and frosting with Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosting.

JWinslow Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 20

I also made a dairy free version of SMBC but it would no way be good for a grass tip (too soft).  Have you Googled lactose free Frosting?  There are a lot of recipes out there but I suspect your will have to make a test batch to see if it would be stiff enough.  Hope this helps

JWinslow Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat 

Hi i just looked at my order has to lactose and gluten free. i bought the mayonagse sp and the rice milk going to try a run through, i read Dunken hines has gluten free mixes but i can's fine any that say it on the box thank you for you input if you find anymore let me know thank you

i missed this post - Gluten free also?  Wow!  Do you have a Wegmans or Whole Foods?  They both have good sections for both.  The gluten free is the tough one.

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:37pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow 

I also made a dairy free version of SMBC but it would no way be good for a grass tip (too soft).  Have you Googled lactose free Frosting?  There are a lot of recipes out there but I suspect your will have to make a test batch to see if it would be stiff enough.  Hope this helps

7 minute frosting is lactose free

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:48pm
post #14 of 20

The recipe that has been listed is good and I also use the wacky cake one is really good.  I sub out 1/4 cup of water for some espresso,  adds a lot of extra flavor.  As far as no dairy butter you have to watch it because most of the margarine's contain a milk by product, most generally caseanate (sp?).  The one I found that does not is the squeeze Parkay in the blue bottle.  As far as icing is concerned, use hi-ratio shortening and make the icing with some water instead of milk, voila, no dairy!  Good luck.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 10:14pm
post #15 of 20

For the icing - I just make 'buttercream' using nuttalex (dairy free spread) in place of the butter - seems  to me to work just the same.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 10:19pm
post #16 of 20

A

Original message sent by ninatat

Hi i just looked at my order has to lactose and gluten free.

Creating a top-notch gluten-free cake recipe takes a significant amount of R&D as well as a reevaluation of both your production and storage processes and those of your suppliers to ensure there is no cross-contamination. If you are not prepared to invest the time to do this right, pass on the order.

Also, Big Bird and Elmo are copyrighted characters so you would need permission from Sesame Workshop in order to legally copy their likenesses.

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:31am
post #17 of 20

Not sure if you`ve had to make this cake already.   I would suggest going to a specialty store (like a health food type place) and ask for a vegan GF cake mix.   It`s probably your best bet because GF scratch recipes tend to be rather complex, and call for a variety of expensive harder to find ingredients.  Milk derivatives are a common additive to processed foods and can be under a plethora of names.

Also not sure if maybe I missed something but eggs do not contain lactose or any dairy.   I hear that a lot about dairy allergies and lactose intolerance but eggs are 100% ok unless they have an egg allergy.

Becel sells vegan margarine, which is like salted butter.  Earth Balance is a very popular brand to look for.   I`ve used vegan Becel to replace about a third of the butter in SMBC, and replaced the rest with shortening.    Vegan margarine tastes better than shortening, and a bit of salt is actually good in frostings but you have to add it slowly and have a lot of spoons around to sample that you have just enough margarine in the batch without being noticeable. 

Then I would just make some of Alton Browns royal icing for piping.  Its mega fluffy when I make it.  Like really, really fluffy, if you follow his directions.    But if someone was allergic to eggs I`d just blend shortening and icing sugar with DF milk. 

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:46pm
post #18 of 20

ASEARCH FOR GLUTEN FREE CHIFFON CAKE AND USE VEGAN cUPCAKES FROSTING RECIPE

shaloop Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:46pm
post #19 of 20

Asorry about caps.

shaloop Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:52pm
post #20 of 20

AThis one seems good, though I've never made it but is the most like regular chiffon cake http://www.simplygf.com/featherlight-chiffon-cake/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%