1St Wedding Cake! Freezing Frosted Cake

Decorating By Nauz Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 12:12pm by ddaigle

Nauz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nauz Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 8

AHello all,

My 1st wedding cake order is due next week & today i am baking cakes! My question is can i fill, crumb coat & frosted the cake & freeze it? Then 2 days before due, i will thaw frosted cake & covered in fondant? Is that possible? Anyone has done it before? What was the outcome? Please help! Thanks for ur time

7 replies
tomsann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsann Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 8

if you do it that way  you want to thaw it in the refrigerator

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 8

Yep....top "anniversary" tiers and frozen all the time...and kept if the freezer for a year!

I'm doing the same thing next month for my son's wedding because I am traveling 6 hours.  I'm going to ice and freeze each tier a few days before leaving. 

Nauz Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 8

Tomsann:  Have you ever done it before?

Nauz Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 8

ddaigle:  I am scared but I am gonna try it.  Wish me luck :)

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 8

I helped a user over at CD a while ago where she had the cake completely finished and then the client postponed the event a month.  She froze the finished cake and had very little problems.  The thread can be found here.

tomsann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsann Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 8

yes,   not very often but it will be o.k.....don't worry :)

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 8

I have only traveled with a 4-tier cake one time and my BIL carried it for me.  I only want to travel with what I personally can handle...so I have been not doing 4 tier cakes.   I have 3 of them in September where the bride wants to keep the top tier...so I am freezing it and traveling with the 3 tier assembled...that I am used to doing..and putting the top tier on when I get to the venue.  I hate the thought of assembling onsite..I have never done it.   I figured with the 6" being frozen, I can handle it better.  99% of my wedding cakes are butter cream. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%