First Complaint...

Business By CakeAddict95 Updated 22 Aug 2013 , 11:55pm by vgcea

CakeAddict95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAddict95 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 24

AI just received my first complaint for one of my specialty cakes. I'm so upset... I've never had someone criticize me in such a rude way.. I appreciate constructive criticism but this client just emailed me after emailing me a first time saying "We loved the cake. It was so good. Thanks so much" ... Now they just sent me an email a week later saying they do not want my $10 off coupon and that the colours were all wrong on the cake and that it was dry and tasted like the worst cake they have ever had....... Im second guessing my business right now... I baked that cake fresh... DH with a box of pudding and an extra egg.. SMBC.. Everybody loves my cake... I dont know what to think or what to say to that email..

23 replies
CakeAddict95 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 24

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 24

Sorry, what was the $10 off coupon for?

CakeAddict95 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 24

AI have a promotion where clients who submit reviews that are allowed to be posted on the website they get a coupon for next time... I only approve the honest comments... Its a little hard to control so I might just cancel that offer.

CakeAddict95 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 24

AI know my cake is not a masterpiece by any means but i put a lot of work into that cake... They even approved the design..... The customer was truly hard to work with from the beginning... Questioned pricing.. Told me i should price by weight, etc... I probably shouldnt have taken the order but it was a slow week

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 24

A

Original message sent by CakeAddict95

I have a promotion where clients who submit reviews that are allowed to be posted on the website they get a coupon for next time... I only approve the honest comments... Its a little hard to control so I might just cancel that offer.

Generally it's not a good idea to compensate customers for reviews. If independent review sites like Yelp find out about this they will close down your page and post a warning indicating that customers were paid for reviews.

In this case I don't think you really need to respond to the second email.

CakeAddict95 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 24

AOh I didn't know that.. I will stop the promotion and remove all reviews from the site..... I just figured they would want some motivation to write reviews and thought that would be okay. Thanks for the information jason..

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 24

If she didn't ask for a refund, there's really nothing more you can or have to do. But definitely don't second guess yourself. Take the blow (as hard as it is) and keep moving forward, learning from every opportunity. Your skin will thicken over time.

CakeAddict95 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 24

Thank you for that advice ... I do appreciate it ... has this happened to any of you before? I feel like this client was trying to get me to give them a refund to be honest ...

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 24

That's what it sounds like to me: refund. That doesn't compute with what they said at first ("We loved the cake; it was so good").

I'm puzzled. Ignore them and move on.

CakeAddict95 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 24

Precisely why I am so upset ... It was really out of no where. I had received their first e-mail and was very happy that they liked the cake ... but then I received this one and I'm so confused as to why they would A) lie to me the first time and say it was good and that they liked it when they did not or B) lie to me now to get a refund when they did like it in the first place .......... I'm not sure what to think

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 24

Did she explicitly ask for a refund? Or was she just complaining?

CakeAddict95 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 24

No he did not

CakeAddict95 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 24

Because he didn't ask for a refund specifically, i'm not sure whether he wanted a free cake or not .... Then again when he showed up to give me a deposit he gave me about 1/4 of what we had discussed, since he "didn't have much cash on him", and conveniently "forgot" how much he paid last time and wanted to pay me less for the cake then what I was charging for the deposit. I'm usually very strict with my contract but these clients did not speak English very well and it was hard to communicate with them.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 1:06am
post #15 of 24

ADid you receive the rest of the money they owed you?

Smckinney07 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 1:14am
post #16 of 24

AMake sure you print receipts for yourself and for the customer (you'll need yours). I was lucky and found a very good contract that another decorator let me use as a template so I have _____deposit is due (Date) the rest is due on or before (Date) as well as any final changes, I give them a reciept then clip/staple a copy to their paperwork and stick it in my folder. They're arranged by month, in a file cabinet. You can buy reciept books at the store make sure you get one with a copy for yourself.

CakeAddict95 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 1:44am
post #17 of 24

Yes I told him I wouldn't make the cake unless I was paid in full so he came back with the rest of the money.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 3:07am
post #18 of 24

The guy is yanking your chain.  He first loved the cake THEN days later it was terrible?  "Conveniently" didn't have money until he found out he wasn't going to get a cake unless he ponied up the cash?  He's fishing for a refund.  I would either not respond or send something along the lines of "Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you were not completely satisfied with your order."

Then put him on the No Cakes for You list.

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 3:27am
post #19 of 24

No Cakes for You list...lol!! Sorry, I'm new to CC and haven't heard that before, made me laugh :)

CakeAddict95 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 7:58pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

Make sure you print receipts for yourself and for the customer (you'll need yours). I was lucky and found a very good contract that another decorator let me use as a template so I have _____deposit is due (Date) the rest is due on or before (Date) as well as any final changes, I give them a reciept then clip/staple a copy to their paperwork and stick it in my folder. They're arranged by month, in a file cabinet. You can buy reciept books at the store make sure you get one with a copy for yourself.

Oh I always do too! I've got his receipts and an official signed invoice. It's just that he seemed to be one of those "it's just a cake. i'm not paying X amount of money for a cake. what are these papers for? it's just a cake"

Smckinney07 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 8:38pm
post #21 of 24

AI see! Well that's a shame, I know a complaint of any kind can really sting.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 11:28pm
post #22 of 24

Some people are negotiators from start to finish. They do everything possible to get the price down and try all sorts of stuff. They may come from a place where this sort of thing is kind of normal. If this is the case, it means nothing about your cake and they probably don't understand that this is upsetting you and why you're not giving back as good as you've gotten.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 11:45pm
post #23 of 24

I'd ignore his second email-- delete!

besides I thought it was almost impossible to have a dry cake from a  cake mix?

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 11:55pm
post #24 of 24

A

Original message sent by howsweet

Some people are negotiators from start to finish. They do everything possible to get the price down and try all sorts of stuff. They may come from a place where this sort of thing is kind of normal. If this is the case, it means nothing about your cake and they probably don't understand that this is upsetting you and why you're not giving back as good as you've gotten.

True. It's normal in some cultures to bargain and diss the product all in a bid to get the price down. This usually happens before they pay though. Unless he's prepping for his next order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%