Cake Pick With Or Without Water? When Do You Put Fresh Flowers On Cake?

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 18 Aug 2013 , 9:31pm by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 11

AWould you put the flower pick in the cake with or without water? I would think without water. And when would you put the flowers on? I'm just debating this tonight for tomorrow's wedding cake. All the cakes I do have had sugar flowers. This one has real flowers... Now I'm trying to figure out what to do, lol.

10 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:06am
post #2 of 11

Definitely, no water! If it leaked you'd have a problem. The flowers shouldn't go on too far in advance, at the most an hour or two before the people come.

If the flowers aren't fresh enough or the right flowers not to wilt for 6 hours....not your fault...the florist should have advised the bride.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:26am
post #3 of 11

AI use straws or spikes as more of a barrier between the cake and flowers. And yes, as stated above, put the arrangements in last min. Straws are more for when I use wires with Gumpaste flowers but that's another story.

Smckinney07 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:29am
post #4 of 11

AI also have a spot on my contract that states who's bringing the flowers, and get contact info for the florist. Most importantly make sure the flowers are safe to place on a cake, otherwise you'll need to make or purchase sugar flowers. Coszmucar (I think that's her site name here) sells lovely flowers from her site if you need to purchase.

Smckinney07 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:32am
post #5 of 11

ANo costume czar is her CC name, I just ran across it. Just options.

SugarMama5 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 3:28am
post #6 of 11

AI just pulled the flowers out of the box and they're in a shallow dish! Sweet! The flowers totally won't touch the cake and I can just give the flowers to them to just place on top of the cake. *** happy dance *** :D

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5 

I just pulled the flowers out of the box and they're in a shallow dish! Sweet! The flowers totally won't touch the cake and I can just give the flowers to them to just place on top of the cake. *** happy dance *** icon_biggrin.gif

Totally confused here. You made the cake? Someone else is placing the flowers on top of the cake? A dish of flowers in water will be placed as is on top of the cake? Can you post a photo? Thank you! End of questions.

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 12:42am
post #8 of 11

AHmmmm

SugarMama5 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 2:40am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Totally confused here. You made the cake? Someone else is placing the flowers on top of the cake? A dish of flowers in water will be placed as is on top of the cake? Can you post a photo? Thank you! End of questions.

Sorry, it's not in a dish of water!! That would be scary... just a disaster waiting to happen. It was in a shallow plastic dish with the flowers in the green floral sponge. I'll post the picture to show you ;)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 9:58am
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the picture - your cake is lovely.

SugarMama5 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 11

AThank you! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%