How Would I Go About Making A House Built Into A Hill?

Decorating By weluvpiggies Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 9:39pm by weluvpiggies

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, My husband's uncle owns a house that is built into the side of a hill.  Love to make a 3D cake of it for him, but I don't even know where to start for the hill or the house.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the 'hows' and 'whats' that I should use for the hill and house materials etc.?  All ideas appreciated and welcomed!

Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 8

Could you post a picture of the house?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:31am
post #3 of 8

AI drew a picture but I can't seem to upload it. Without seeing a picture of what your wanting here are my thoughts: A baseboard with a pipe going through the center, you can stack cakes up using dowels and another board with a pre drilled hole between your cake layers-carve that into your hill. Attach another square board on top for the house to be built on.

If you want something less extreme, you could make a square or sheet cake with your hill made of RKT and the house made of fondant.

weluvpiggies Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 8

I wish I could, but I don't have a digital pic and the house is an hour away. 

It's a very old farm house.  It looks like a 2 story from the front, but you walk in at ground level into the second level at the back of the house.  It has a deck on the side, almost at the top of the hill.  There is also a screen porch in the front that you can walk out to from the second level. 

So, it's a 2-story from the front and a 1 story from the back because of the hill, plus the screened porch in front sticks out in front.

Also, the drive way goes up the hill around to the back of the house where the  unattached garage is.

I hope this helps you help me! icon_biggrin.gif

weluvpiggies Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 8

I'm so new, what's RKT?  icon_redface.gif  The house made of fondant sound more doable for me.  Do you know of any tutorials on how I would go about doing even that?  thanks so much!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 8

RKT is Rice Krispie Treats (rice cereal bound with marshmallow). I like the idea of molding the mountain and road with RKT covered with fondant. Then molding the basic shape of the house with RKT and covering that with fondant. If there are any big rocks around, you could get some of those candy rocks.

http://www.fancyflours.com/product/Candy-Rocks-Chocolate-Beach-Pebbles-4-oz-jar/Edible-chocolate-decorations

http://www.shopkimmiecandy.com/ChocoRocks_Silver_Boulders_1lb_Bulk_p/46521.htm

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 8

ASkip the first idea-use Shanters direction about molding RKT. You can make your own, buy them in bricks or sheets just make sure you use supports in your cake (like bubble tea straws or poly dowels) to hold up the hill. I would goggle RKT molding if you need some visuals.

weluvpiggies Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much!  Being so new, I get so into the 'cake' part that I forget all about using RKT (I'm so cool now that I know what that means! icon_lol.gif)

That did help inspire me.

My dad always made 3D cakes for us growing up and he never even knew about using things like RKT, fondant, gumpaste, etc..... he just pieced together cake with (god forbid, so dangerous looking back) toothpicks and store bought frosting and the cakes were amazing even by today's standards!   He once made a 2 ft tall E.T. cake and felt bad he had to use a wooden support for the head!  If he only knew, but he passed away before I got into cakes myself.

thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%