First Time Stacking A Cake!!!

Decorating By peekaboocupcake Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 10:29am by Babbo

peekaboocupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peekaboocupcake Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:53am
post #1 of 9

do i need to use dowels if i am using a 2 layer 6 in and 2 layer 9 inch. if i do then would the thicker bamboo skewers work?? how many would i need???

8 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:56am
post #2 of 9

you definitely need support. Look into the SPS system. I will never use dowels again. Had a near disaster once.

lisaelanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisaelanna Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:58am
post #3 of 9

I would definitely put something in there for support, probably 4 supports.  For that size cake I like to use the bubble tea straws - much easier to cut to size and insert and a 6" cake isn't heavy enough to where you have to worry about them not being strong enough. 

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:30am
post #4 of 9

AYou always need support for stacked cakes. Make sure you have cardboard cake rounds (foamcore, sep plate, etc) between each tier as well as some sort of dowell.

I'm not sure how big bamboo skewers are but I don't care for wooden anything. I like poly dowells or sps. To each their own.

gettingstarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gettingstarted Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:45am
post #5 of 9

AWhat is an SPS system and bubble straws?

Smckinney07 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:50am
post #6 of 9

Ahttp://www.globalsugarart.com/bakery-crafts-pillars-plates-sps-system-c-886_887.html

Plates with legs that you cut and slide into your cake. Bubble tea straws are thick milkshake type straws

gettingstarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gettingstarted Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:32am
post #7 of 9

AThank you for the link. I do have other questions about the SPS system. You need the pillars and the plates for it to work correctly, right? Also is that something that gets returned from the customer or is it just part of the cost of the cake. I am fairly new to all this so please excuse any dumb questions.

Smckinney07 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 3:00am
post #8 of 9

AYes you want the plates and the pillars, they'll click together. You'll cut them to fit the length of the tier or higher if you want a gap. I have been able to reuse it he plates they're plastic so you can wash them. If its a far delivery I don't ask for them back but if it's local people always end up returning. I don't use sps for all my cakes, but I always factor in supports and boards and boxes.

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 10:29am
post #9 of 9

All stacked cakes need support, I like plastic dowls

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%