Need Help Figuring Out This Cake

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 4:17am by AZCouture

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 2:18am
post #1 of 7

A friend has asked me to make this cake.  I am not very good with fondant and I don't have an airbrush, so I told her I had to do it buttercream and the ribbon would be actual ribbon.  She was OK with that.  So, now I am left with acheiving the color of the flowers and pumpkin.  I have never used petal dust.  Could I get a similar look on the roses with petal dust? Do you think the roses are white and then colored with a burgundy? What color fondant (or mixtures of fondant) are used to achieve that pumpkin color?  

I appreciate any help you can provide. 

6 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:20am
post #2 of 7

AFirst and foremost I would definitely use fondant for the draping (or swags-whatever you want to call it)! It's very, very, very simple and you will not get the look you want if you use actual ribbon for that. You can do the entire cake in BC then add your two fondant swags.

The roses do look airbrushed, can you see the white in them? They were made with white Gumpaste (I imagine) then airbrushed. You can buy a can of colored spray, Wilton has a brand, CMC, etc. the look will be a bit different since you won't have the same amount of control as you would with an airbrush. Honestly, it probably be easier just to color your Gumpaste then make your roses (unless she wants that white color). You can use petal dust also, they are used in various combinations to give flowers depth and detail, finish with steam to seal it in (use an iron or a tea kettle) takes patience. Whatever, your comfortable with.

The pumpkin looked orange to me, use gel colors (Americolor is nice) or powder.

Skidoochic Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:56am
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your response.  I work full time in another industry, so I apologize for the delay in responding.  I will give the fondant draping a shot, but will have ribbon or fabric for back up.    I'm still not sure on the colors.  The pumpkin looks more like a rust color but I guess I will just have to experiment and hope I get it right.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond!  I really appreciate it!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:44am
post #4 of 7

AIt's no problem, your welcome! Get on YouTube and search for 'fondant draping' or 'fondant swags'. You just take strips of fondant and either pinch together the edges or put dowels underneath to create the scrunched effect.

Try mixing a bit of brown with the orange if you need it darker or you can order the color bronze. Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 3:50am
post #5 of 7

MaY I suggest you 1st stop trying to copy that cake *EXACTLY* :)  Very, very few people can copy a design exact and have it really look that good.  That picture will not be at her event for others to compare to so what does it really matter?  A close enough likeness can be gotten by using orange fondant (or b'cream) for the pumpkins then using petal dust OR gel color thinned w/something like vodka paint highlight color on them.  You probably could do much the same w/the roses - dusting w/petal dust over b'cream airdried flowers. I agree the draping would look best in fondant and it is not hard to achieve.  If you really are that scared of making the pumpkin you could use a plastic one.

Skidoochic Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 4:04am
post #6 of 7

Thanks again for both of your advice.  I appreciate it.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 4:17am
post #7 of 7

APumpkins are super easy to make, you won't have any trouble with those.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%