Cookie Gun

Baking By paperlace1 Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 2:40pm by paperlace1

paperlace1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paperlace1 Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 4

just wondering if anyone has has used a cookie gun with  modeling sugar paste. I bought a plastic one that can not handle the pressure need to extrude the paste but was wondering if a metal one would do the job  

3 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 4

I used a plastic one before I bought my good extruder. The plastic disc didn't hold up very long!  IF you have to use it, warm your fondant up in the microwave a tad before trying to press it through the gun, it helps a little.

I haven't seen the metal cookie guns, if it's all metal, it should work the same as an extruder. The difference between my plastic gun and metal extruder is the opening size on the disc pattern is bigger on the cookie gun. So if you need it for smaller details, go with the actual extruder. I got mine at Hobby Lobby, look in the clay tool section, with the 40% coupon, it was $10. 

As for a bigger one, my husband and I made one with pvc pipe and the gun part of a caulking gun. It works awesome and the total cost was under $15.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:34am
post #3 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperlace1 

just wondering if anyone has has used a cookie gun with  modeling sugar paste. I bought a plastic one that can not handle the pressure need to extrude the paste but was wondering if a metal one would do the job  

paperlace1: I wouldn't let anyone mess with my 'Spritz' making cookie gun, It took a lot of experimenting with plastic ones to find this treasure.  A Biscuits machine by 'Marcato', all metal made in Italy, sold by Norpro.

There are two settings so finally I can make fuller thicker cookies that are not so fragile that they break apart at all of the tiny crevices.  I can give it a good steaming to sanitize it.  so I'd say NO, stick to clay guns.

paperlace1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paperlace1 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Quote:

paperlace1: I wouldn't let anyone mess with my 'Spritz' making cookie gun, It took a lot of experimenting with plastic ones to find this treasure.  A Biscuits machine by 'Marcato', all metal made in Italy, sold by Norpro.

There are two settings so finally I can make fuller thicker cookies that are not so fragile that they break apart at all of the tiny crevices.  I can give it a good steaming to sanitize it.  so I'd say NO, stick to clay guns.

I have found a supplier in the uk but was just wondering if you had used your gun with modeling paste - i need it to extrude a precise width for making cup handles for a competition . i already have an extruder that is neither use nor ornament. because it is not big enough.

my last gun was made with "mild steel" and it locked its self and cross threaded the screw the first time i used it (but that was when they first came out in the 70's  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%