Graduation Caps?

Decorating By ralbritton61 Updated 8 Aug 2013 , 3:06pm by ralbritton61

ralbritton61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ralbritton61 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 3:08am
post #1 of 5

I'm making fondant animal toppers (dogs and mice) and I wanted to put graduation caps on them. Any suggestions on what to use? I don't have black fondant or else I would use that. The toppers are only about an inch high so I would need something small. Thanks for your input.

4 replies
CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 5

If you had liquorice sweets you could trim them to shape, but I'm guessing if you don't have black fondant, then liquorice might be a bit of a stretch to have in your larder press! The only other option I can think of making them from black paper?!

I actually hate working with black fondant/modelling paste anyway.  I read before that black colouring is highly irritating to the gut, especially in babies and the elderly, so maybe you're better off not having it in your cupboard.

ralbritton61 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 2:39am
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I thought maybe about that sugar paper that you buy but I don't really like the way it taste. I might just go without caps and just let the little dogs & mice hold diplomas.

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 5

How about a mini peanut butter cup and small square of chocolate? Put the wider end of the mini pb cup facing down on the character's head, then the small square of chocolate on the narrow end. That still might be too big though. 1 inch is quite a tiny mouse!

ralbritton61 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 5

I thought about the mini rollos and mini pb cup but they're too big. I am using them some other cupcakes though for caps. We'll just say they had caps but threw them up in the air and lost them. :) Here's what they look like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%