Renting Office Space But Building Is Up For Sale? Jason..

Business By KellyMorgin Updated 11 Aug 2013 , 2:17pm by KellyMorgin

KellyMorgin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyMorgin Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:25pm
post #31 of 46

AI've read all replys and am greatful for all comments. Here's the update, I pay the deposit get a lease to look over with my lawyer come back the following day to pay the rent and sign the lease then, if i decide to rent the space. He also wants me to look at a open area with no doors but thinks it will work great so that all other clients seeing tenants in the building will notice my display cakes. I'm also allowed to use the other room when ever I need privacy. Idk what I think of this idea yet will have to see but id rather have my display cakes to be limited to pokes and my desk to not be in the open.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:28pm
post #32 of 46

ASo you're still going to pay the deposit before looking at the lease?

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:43pm
post #33 of 46

AI'm speechless.

mashy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashy Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:47pm
post #34 of 46

Run away

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 9:35pm
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

I'm speechless. No you're not. I can hear you

It's a suicide mission, right? And apparently we are powerless.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 2:24am
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

If all tenants are on the same lease and the contract indicates that each tenant is jointly and severally liable (it wouldn't surprise me, and it would explain why he doesn't want to show you the lease), that means the landlord could go after any individual tenant for the liabilities of every tenant. Any tenant who would sign such a contract is nuts.

That's if he's even telling the truth about all tenants sharing the same contract...any revision of the contract (e.g. adding a new tenant) would not be valid unless all parties to the contract (e.g. all tenants) agree to it.

This this this this. again, this.

Money before a lease, really?

I just cannot fathom paying a stranger, who has already showed some seriously sketchy behaviour, a single cent without seeing the lease agreement and talking to the other renters.

I would be willing to bet if you pay the deposit, and decide not to go with it, he will tell you that deposit was simply to hold the place. Just like us cakers do with dates.

There is nothing stopping him from taking your money and renting to someone else, and you have no signatures or documents proving what or where you are renting, what the start/end dates or terms of the lease are. That lease would tell you the terms of the deposit...

You are either being scammed or you managed to find the most incompetent landlord I have ever heard of.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:40am
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro 

If you are really torn about getting the place, you can try to protect yourself:

1- Write him a check. put the date on it to the day AFTER he's supposed to hand you a lease. That way, when ever he says he will provide you with the lease, he can cash the check the next day. He gets a valid check, you get a lease. If he doesn't show up with a lease, call your bank and have them stop the check. Make sure you write something in the notes like " first month rent and deposit " or whatnot.

Sorry, this won't work.  Post-dating a check doesn't help you to delay payment these days.  Due to the volume of checks processed daily, banks are no longer required to honor the date written on the check.  You can date a check for next year and the bank can process it the moment they get it - - the bank won't be held liable for any problems it causes for you.

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 5:37am
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallfrye 

Have you spoken to the womens group yet? If they are already renting this space, you could just ask them if you could use it when they are not in there. It sounds strange that the space is already rented and he's trying to get more rent from you. The extra money you pay should go to the group that is already paying the full rent for the space, right? And if he is going to add your name to their lease they have to re-sign it as well. I was in a situation kind of like this and the person I was renting from was not the owner of the building. Luckly I got out of that situation as fast as I could. Dont get yourself in the same situation. It turns into a mess.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  How much is the women's group paying?  Is the $120 being deducted from their rent or is he charging two tenants for one space?

KellyMorgin Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 3:24pm
post #39 of 46

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

[SIZE=14px]It's a suicide mission, right?  And apparently we are powerless.[/SIZE]

No I'm taking all advice into consideration, I know all risk involved.

KellyMorgin Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 3:25pm
post #40 of 46

A

Original message sent by rsaun

This is exactly what I was thinking.  How much is the women's group paying?  Is the $120 being deducted from their rent or is he charging two tenants for one space?

Its a shared conference/office I know sounds weird. He's offering me a new place in the same building now.

KellyMorgin Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 3:27pm
post #41 of 46

A

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

This this this this. again, this.

Money before a lease, really? I just cannot fathom paying a stranger, who has already showed some seriously sketchy behaviour, a single cent without seeing the lease agreement and talking to the other renters.

I would be willing to bet if you pay the deposit, and decide not to go with it, he will tell you that deposit was simply to hold the place. Just like us cakers do with dates. There is nothing stopping him from taking your money and renting to someone else, and you have no signatures or documents proving what or where you are renting, what the start/end dates or terms of the lease are. That lease would tell you the terms of the deposit...

You are either being scammed or you managed to find the most incompetent landlord I have ever heard of.

He may be a slum lord. Hopefully that's the issue.

MimiFix Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:08pm
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMorgin 

He may be a slum lord. Hopefully that's the issue.

Yes, when I'm looking for a space to rent I always prefer my landlord be a slumlord.

MimiFix Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:10pm
post #43 of 46

I keep wondering if there's anything that will get through to you. But I think not. So I wish you all the best and I won't post on this thread again. 

tiwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiwo Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:50pm
post #44 of 46

Everything about this guy screams shady. I suggest you TALK TO THE OTHER TENANTS and make sure he's legit and even is the owner. Especially the women's group you were to be sharing space with. Please make sure this is someone that you can find if you show up the next day looking for him and your deposit. Also, make sure he even has the rights/permission to lease the space because if not, you will be the one to lose out when the owner finds out. You sound sold on this place so make sure you do your homework and all you can to protect yourself!

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 9:17pm
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMorgin 

I've read all replys and am greatful for all comments. Here's the update, I pay the deposit get a lease to look over with my lawyer come back the following day to pay the rent and sign the lease then, if i decide to rent the space. He also wants me to look at a open area with no doors but thinks it will work great so that all other clients seeing tenants in the building will notice my display cakes. I'm also allowed to use the other room when ever I need privacy. Idk what I think of this idea yet will have to see but id rather have my display cakes to be limited to pokes and my desk to not be in the open.

This makes it sound like he is just trying to take your money and rent you a hallway that the other tenants and their customers walk thru. And this does not seem off to you. You sound like you are going to continue on with this landlord/slumlord and I truly hope that it works out. Just do your homework and dont feel you have to take the first space that you find. Super cheap, to good to be true spaces could end up like super cheap cakes.

KellyMorgin Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 2:17pm
post #46 of 46

AUpdate, i got the lease emailed before payment. Everything went smoothly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%