Tylose

Decorating By lovethecuteness Updated 13 Sep 2013 , 12:26pm by Isabella Davies

lovethecuteness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovethecuteness Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 6

What brand of tylose do you use? I just ordered CK tylose and it is very gritty in my fondant. Is there another brand that I can use instead that is not gritty?

TIA.

5 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

I also use the CK tylose, but only for stiffening up the fondant for cutting out letters and numbers and banners. (Small ones with the gumpaste style cutters.) but we don't eat the "tylose stiffened" fondant, we peel it off and throw it away like we would if it's a plastic decoration. Except the homemade Marshallow Fondant - that tasted ok even with some tylose in it.   Mostly I just use extra powdered sugar, or cornstarch to stiffen fondant for most decorations.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 12:47am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecuteness 

What brand of tylose do you use? I just ordered CK tylose and it is very gritty in my fondant. Is there another brand that I can use instead that is not gritty?

TIA.

I just used some Tylose from Global Sugar Art and I didn't notice any grittiness in my MMF.  I added it to my MMF to make tentacles on my latest cake.  I added the Tylose last night and 12 hours later, I had tentacles I could apply to my cake.  The pictures are in my photos.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 6

There was a bad batch of tylose from CK. I bought 30 bottles of it and it was unusable. There were at least two lots involved .One was Lot # 32112 and I no longer have a record of the other. Exactly like you described - the grain size was too large and wouldn't dissolve in fondant.

CK just sent me out another batch at no charge. In a pinch you could put it through a magic bullet or blender and make it more powdery - worth a try.

It's really tacky of anyone to sell it that way, but maybe they don't know yet? Silll it's been maybe a month since this happened. I'm pretty sure CK wouldn't still be sending more of this out. Anyway, you deserve your money back.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 6

Lol, just ran across this searching for another thread... I'd have thought I'd have been thanked for that information - I thought it was one of my better posts!! haha - kidding...mostly... looks like the OP never came back :D

Isabella Davies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isabella Davies Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 6

I use Sugarflair Tylo Powder - best one on the market, no grittiness, really smooth, works so well with my sugarpaste. This is one of our bestsellers. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%