Why Did My Icing Crack? Pic Attached...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 2 Aug 2013 , 10:25am by Mikel79

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 10:50pm
post #31 of 43

Here's my take.  1.  the board is too thin.  2.  Did you level the cake then flip it onto the board?  Sometimes the upper edge has a shrinking problem and is slightly smaller in size than the other end of the cake.  So you fill it in with icing to compensate, right, well it looks like the filling in solution didn't work.  To prevent any movement the top and the bottom has to be the same size and it has to be on a very strong thick board.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 10:39am
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

Here's my take.  1.  the board is too thin.  2.  Did you level the cake then flip it onto the board?  Sometimes the upper edge has a shrinking problem and is slightly smaller in size than the other end of the cake.  So you fill it in with icing to compensate, right, well it looks like the filling in solution didn't work.  To prevent any movement the top and the bottom has to be the same size and it has to be on a very strong thick board.

The board is Masonite.  Stronger than any cake base out there.  In addition the 2nd tier was on a 3" thick cake drum before transferring it on top of the 12" tier.  The 6" was also on a 3" drum, but did NOT crack like the bottom two.  Keep in mind the cracking on the bottom two tiers was there when I woke up the next morning.  This did not happen after they were stacked.    Cakes are leveled with my Agbay.  Base 12" cake was filled and "flipped" on the Masonite board.    Filling was not filled past the cake dam.  Same process used for the last 4 years with no problems.  

Still don't know whats up.  I appreciate your help.

DeniseNH Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 11:11am
post #33 of 43

Ok then, it sounds like "settling" over night.  One trick is to press down quite severely on the top of the unfrosted cake after it's been filled to squish out any air pockets left over in the filled area.  Some ladies place a tile or book on top of saran wrap on the cake and leave it over night that way in the fridge before icing.  Something moved.  If not the board and I know you're adamant about that part then it was the cake settling.  Another question.  Was your cake room temp or frozen during the icing process.  Frozen cakes  relax quite a bit during the thawing process.  Please don't get offended by my freezing question (some bakers are touchy about this subject)...............I'm seriously trying to help you out and am pulling out all the old tricks I've learned over the years in the "Don't Ever Do Again" part of my brain.

Mikel79 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 2:58pm
post #34 of 43

ANot offended at all! ;-). I appreciate the help.

Cakes were left to settle 18 hours with a Cake pan on top before iced. I don't freeze or fridge my cakes. After I unwrapped the cakes from settling for 18 hours I let come to room temp for 3 hours then added crumb coat. I left crumb coat on cakes for about 5 hours before icing them in the final coat.

Thx for the help!

DeniseNH Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 3:38pm
post #35 of 43

So confused.  If you don't freeze or refrigerate your cakes then why do you need to have them come to room temp for 5 hrs.  They're already at room temp, correct?  You're doing everything right, but there's something you're missing, we're missing - new cake recipe, left out some ingredients, forgot an ingredient or accidenatlly left out an ingredient.  If it's a homemade (from scratch) recipe then I have no clue - if it's a box mix then possibly the manufacturer changed something in the box (like Duncan Hines did last Winter) and all our cakes fell.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 3:45pm
post #36 of 43

Could it be the shortening or your ingredients in general? If you are doing the exact same thing for years and then this happens, it could be the ingredients.  Maybe the coffee creamer has added something or changed something, or maybe the shortening manufacture has changed their formula? I love how smooth your icing is and you once told me you used Sharon Zambito's recipe.  Is that the same recipe you're using? I don't have any idea why this is happening.  Just a thought.  

Mikel79 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 3:58pm
post #37 of 43

A

Original message sent by DeniseNH

So confused.  If you don't freeze or refrigerate your cakes then why do you need to have them come to room temp for 5 hrs.  They're already at room temp, correct?  You're doing everything right, but there's something you're missing, we're missing - new cake recipe, left out some ingredients, forgot an ingredient or accidenatlly left out an ingredient.  If it's a homemade (from scratch) recipe then I have no clue - if it's a box mix then possibly the manufacturer changed something in the box (like Duncan Hines did last Winter) and all our cakes fell.

When I let then settle overnight they are in food safe plastic bags. When removed from plastic bags there is condensation on the cake. Condensation is a huge problem if not dried. Reference Sharon zambitos icing method. I like the crumb coat to be firm before I ice.

Thanks.

Mikel79 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 4:01pm
post #38 of 43

A

Original message sent by knlcox

Could it be the shortening or your ingredients in general? If you are doing the exact same thing for years and then this happens, it could be the ingredients.  Maybe the coffee creamer has added something or changed something, or maybe the shortening manufacture has changed their formula? I love how smooth your icing is and you once told me you used Sharon Zambito's recipe.  Is that the same recipe you're using? I don't have any idea why this is happening.  Just a thought.  

Thanks. ;-)

Yes still using Sharon's recipes. Not sure if any of the manufactures changed anything or not?? Maybe so. But the shortening was used in past cakes with no issues???

Someone mentioned humidity might have been the culprit?? Maybe so...

I really appreciate the help.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 7:18pm
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaunt 

thanks so much for answering that question, I am now anxious to try the recipe with heavy cream-I guess that would be whipping cream.

Yes, heavy whipping cream with the highest fat content available.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 3:43am
post #40 of 43

I am wondering if it is the creamer? I tried the "getting water and creamer hot" thing, and found it much too crusty. I just use cold cream in mine, and it gets super smooth. 

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 7:08am
post #41 of 43

ASometimes that just happens with a crusting butter cream. Could be movement or settling. Or dry air or just nothing. Try more shortening in the icing. To make it not so crusty.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 7:13am
post #42 of 43

AJust read the cakes were stacked. It was prob pressure from the upper cake as the dowels settled a bit. It doesn't take much to make the crust shift and crack. This happens to me too sometimes. ESP if. I dowel a smudge too low.

Mikel79 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 10:25am
post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack 

Just read the cakes were stacked. It was prob pressure from the upper cake as the dowels settled a bit. It doesn't take much to make the crust shift and crack. This happens to me too sometimes. ESP if. I dowel a smudge too low.

Thank you Sharon for the input so much!   The cracking was on the cakes before I stacked though.  Woke up in the morning to go stack them and found the hairline cracks.

I will give the more shortening tip a try.  I measure out my shortening on a scale and exactly come to 5 cups.  I noticed either in a past post of yours or even the recipe you mention something along the lines of a "generous" 5 cups.

Thanks again!  =)  =)   icon_biggrin.gif   icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%