Gun Show Would You Be A Vendor In Texas????

Business By smittyditty Updated 29 Jul 2013 , 11:12pm by Annabakescakes

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 4:57pm
post #31 of 47

*Picks up jaw from the floor*

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:09pm
post #32 of 47

AGetting back to the topic at hand, if you do some research into the demographics of attendees at gun shows it will help you determine whether or not it will be worth it. For example, if the research points to attendees with a relatively low median income that have already earmarked discretionary funds for a relatively large purchase (weapons and ammo) you probably won't net too many customers who are willing to pay for quality baked goods.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:13pm
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

I'm actually surprised (and disappointed) at your post, Jason, unless, of course, you are using sarcasm! You're usually so dispassionate and logical - like a Vulcan.

One can absolutely be a patriot and still oppose the weapons industry (and the NRA!). Being proud to be American while opposing weapons is not mutually exclusive.

You know, I read Jason's posts in a Spock voice in my head.

To add: that isn't a bad thing, I love Spock!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:35pm
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Getting back to the topic at hand, if you do some research into the demographics of attendees at gun shows it will help you determine whether or not it will be worth it. For example, if the research points to attendees with a relatively low median income that have already earmarked discretionary funds for a relatively large purchase (weapons and ammo) you probably won't net too many customers who are willing to pay for quality baked goods.

I go to gun shows from time to time....it is not just a bunch of poor rednecks. A lot of collectors go because they can find things not readily available in the marketplace. A lot of families with hungry kids are there. A lot of folks with disposable income to spare are there. I think camo cakes and gun cakes would be a big draw. WHile you may not sell a ton there those are the kind of people who would buy gun and hunting cakes and they will remember you, so take a ton of cards.

jason_kraft Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:42pm
post #35 of 47

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

I go to gun shows from time to time....it is not just a bunch of poor rednecks. A lot of collectors go because they can find things not readily available in the marketplace. A lot of families with hungry kids are there. A lot of folks with disposable income to spare are there. I think camo cakes and gun cakes would be a big draw. WHile you may not sell a ton there those are the kind of people who would buy gun and hunting cakes and they will remember you, so take a ton of cards.

That's why it's so important to do the research...logic dictates that the demo of the attendees will be largely dependent on where the event is held. It's not surprising that a location with a strong military presence like Norfolk would tend to be further upmarket.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:44pm
post #36 of 47

I've been on CC a while and I can honestly say this is a new one!  Nice to have something new to debate (you know, as opposed to box vs scratch icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif)

I agree with the PP (Jason?) who said you might want to do some research on the demographics of who typically attends a gun show.  If it's in line with your desired customer base I think you should go for it.

I would focus on groom's cakes and something fun for the women. 

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:51pm
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

The first thing I would ask myself is:

Do I really want myself, my business and my business name and reputation to be associated with the weapons industry?

Sorry still on page 1.

Its Texas, while a good point for another state, its Texas. Land of Guns and Bibles. If you aren't for guns Texas would be the last state you'd live in..lol

smittyditty Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:53pm
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar02 

Keep in mind that if you are a home baker, you will need to rent commercial kitchen time/space to make your samples or sales in. We can't give out samples at wedding shows made at home, so I would imagine the requirement is the same.

As far as I knew the new law allowed us to pass out samples and sell as long as they were labeled and had been packaged in a way to avoid cross contamination?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:55pm
post #39 of 47

Are there other food vendors that pass out samples?

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:56pm
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Sorry still on page 1.

Its Texas, while a good point for another state, its Texas. Land of Guns and Bibles. If you aren't for guns Texas would be the last state you'd live in..lol

Now that was joke, right?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:57pm
post #41 of 47

Blah blah blah....yes, do the show, I bet it will bring in some good business.

smittyditty Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:58pm
post #42 of 47

Yes beef jerky and snack stands usually. If it was a large one then there would also be a cafeteria thing inside.

Sorry I'm going to zoo now I'll be back and update more info I find.

The new law for TX I was talking about is in effect Sept 1st.

jason_kraft Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:59pm
post #43 of 47

A

Original message sent by smittyditty

As far as I knew the new law allowed us to pass out samples and sell as long as they were labeled and had been packaged in a way to avoid cross contamination?

Q11: Where can I sell my food?

Answer: At your home, a farmer’s market, a farm stand, or a municipal, county, or nonprofit fair, festival, or event. To rephrase, the fair, festival, or event must be sponsored by a municipality (city), county, or a non-profit organization. The law does not allow for sales at privately sponsored public events such as craft fairs or flea markets.

http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/FAQ.aspx

Yes, this means that selling a cupcake at a gun show involves more licensing and bureaucracy than selling a gun. Now if we can just get Walmart to help rewrite food safety laws...

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:05pm
post #44 of 47

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Answer: At your home, a farmer’s market, a farm stand, or a municipal, county, or nonprofit fair, festival, or event. To rephrase, the fair, festival, or event must be sponsored by a municipality (city), county, or a non-profit organization. The law does not allow for sales at privately sponsored public events such as craft fairs or flea markets.

Well, guess not.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 7:44pm
post #45 of 47

A

Original message sent by smittyditty

As long as your event is on or after September 1st. Before that date the old rules still apply.

smittyditty Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 10:46pm
post #46 of 47

The gun show is put on by the non-profit sheriffs posse. So yes it qualifies, if I wanted to sell cupcakes. I'll have to figure that out once I get demographics and a response.

I did see on the FB page another vendor also waiting for a reply selling ladies tasers and other self defense weapons. That would be cool to share a table.

I was going to put samples in the jello cups with lids and under a cake dome on a stand. That way I don't have mass grab and run...also like indydebi said put towards back of the table.

Anna-I would love to buy your camo, however if someone wanted me to duplicate the cake I wouldn't be able to. I have no access to a edible printer. The only one is at my cake store thats over an hour away that is ALWAYS broke down. Thank you though;)

Tried to find pictures of the inside of the event but only found pictures of people lined up outside :(  So for now I'm just gonna have to wait till they get back with me.

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm pretty sure I want to do it, if they will let me. I'm undecided about the cupcakes for sale? How many would you even make? The cost of the table rental?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 11:12pm
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Yes, this means that selling a cupcake at a gun show involves more licensing and bureaucracy than selling a gun. Now if we can just get Walmart to help rewrite food safety laws...

How delicious, lol. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%