Cake Dummies?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 22 Jul 2013 , 3:26pm by DeliciousDesserts

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 4

I've been wanting to try decorating a cake dummy for a while now, but I have a few questions...

1. How do you get your fondant to stick to a dummy? Do you add a layer of buttercream like you do with a real cake or do you add something else like water?

2. Can you re-use a cake dummy after you've covered it in fondant and/or buttercream? If so, do you just wipe off the icing with a paper towel? or?

3. How long should you keep the cake dummy decorated before tearing it down/throwing it away? For display purposes.

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 4

1: You can use water or crisco. No need to waste buttercream.

2: You can reuse the dummies. Just soak them in hot water and pry the fondant off with a spatula or scrape if it's buttercream. Try not to dig the spatula in the foam as you'll leave a dent which could show up next time you decorate.

3: Until it gets dusty and you can't dust it anymore and/or until your decorations break.

aem1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aem1029 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 4

I wrap mine is press and seal wrap, therefore when you want to change it up, you just unwrap it from the bottom and the fondant breaks off.  Do the same if is is buttercream and they can be used over and over and over.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 4

AReally hate covering a dummy. Maybe that is because I usually roll so thin. The dummy's aren't perfect. I tried using a fine grit sand paper, but there are still a few flaws. I used gumpaste to fill a few dents. Still not happy. Buttercream is so much easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%