Hello, Any Advice On "the Mat"? =)

Decorating By farmers-wife79 Updated 15 Jul 2013 , 6:13am by farmers-wife79

farmers-wife79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmers-wife79 Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 7

AHi, im new to the forum and new to cake decorating, i was wondering if anyone has used "The Mat" from sweetwise for rolling their fondant?, is it a good investment or a waste of money?thanks in advance :-D

6 replies
keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome to CC. You may want to do a search for this topic. It's been discussed in-depth in a few previous threads. I can attest to it working quite well on Wilton's(used for my dummies or test cakes) not so much for Fondarific. Since Fondarific has a touch of chocolate, it tends to stick to the mat. I still use it, however, there's a learning curve and you have to use cornstarch(quite a bit) to prevent it from sticking. It is really great for blending or layering fondant.

If you use Fondx as they do on Sweetwise, I hear it works really well.

sweetbliss17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbliss17 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 12:10am
post #3 of 7

its plain awesome!! It really does change the world of cake decorating. Forget the cornstarch and powdered sugar= no cracks/elephant skin on your cakes !! Its a really great investment !! 

rere0726 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rere0726 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 12:40am
post #4 of 7

AI LOVE THE MAT!!! It made rolling out fondant easy. It requires not powder sugar not nothing. I love it.

cakelady519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady519 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 2:30am
post #5 of 7

"The Mat" worked beautifully for me.  My daughter's wedding cake in June was not only my first wedding cake, but it was also the first time I covered cake with fondant.  I made MMF and used "The Mat" to cover all 4 tiers - 14", 10",8" and 6".  I love it and highly recommend it.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:15am
post #6 of 7

The mat works for me pretty well.  I've read threads on CC that some do not  like it at all.  It is extremely important to season it when you get it.   I find after mine has been used a couple of times, there are no issues.

farmers-wife79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmers-wife79 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:13am
post #7 of 7

AThanks everyone, i cant get fondx here in the uk the make i tend to use is renshaws or the supermarkets own brand fondant, think i might give the mat a go see what happens :-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%