Candy Melts

Decorating By SweetBees Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 7:04am by SweetBees

SweetBees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBees Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 12:47am
post #1 of 3

I have to do three dozen cupcakes for a wedding this weekend and I really wanted to get some of the decorations done tonight so that I'm not overwhelmed with the other cakes I have to do this week. The girl wants chocolate decorations on top of the cupcakes. I have white candy melts and chocolate chips. I tried to make the decorations with melted chocolate chips but they wouldn't harden at all. So can I add cocoa powder or brown coloring to the white melts or do I really need to go to the store for some chocolate melts? I was hoping there would be a shortcut. Any help would be awesome.

2 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 1:45am
post #2 of 3

Silly of me to ask, but did you put the melts in the fridge after you poured them into the mold?

You can't add brown food coloring to candy melts, unless it is food coloring specifically made for candy...it will glop up and be a mess.

Cocoa won't mix properly in the melts.

I think you might need chocolate candy melts...sorry!  

SweetBees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBees Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 7:04am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for responding! I tried the fridge but they melted immediately after I brought them out. It's awful hot and humid here in Bama. The candy melts will usually stay firm even in the heat and humidity though, so looks like I'm off to the store. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%