How To Ganache Under Fondant

Decorating By jilly10 Updated 6 Jul 2013 , 10:21pm by FlourPots

jilly10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilly10 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 5

AHi I have been cake decorating for some time but have always used buttercream under fondant. Recently I have noticed more people are using ganache instead of buttercream.

Can someone please give me the recipe and talk me through how to apply ganache under fondant. The cakes I make are mostly 10" diameter and 5" high.

Thank you in advance Jill

4 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 5

Start with this video:

and wath the next two as well. Just about everything you need to know!

seamusis20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seamusis20 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:25am
post #3 of 5

AI made an 11" round by 6" tall 3 layer cake last week. I used 1.5 kg choc and 750 gm cream. I found it was missing something ( flavour wise ) even though I used quality eating chocolate so I put some oil based essence (hazlenut in my case. peppermint would be nice too) in to jack up the yummy-ness. See how yours tastes. This quantity did 2 layers between and coated the sides & top liberally. If this is your first attempt at using ganache ( oh I whipped it some too which built up volume a bit) I would use this quantity & see how you go. The outside walls ended up as thick as the fillings which looked nice on the cut cake. I use Michelle's methods for making the ganache.

jilly10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilly10 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 7:47am
post #4 of 5

AThanks for the advice. Michelle's tutorial is great, just what I need. X

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 5

There's a must-see free class taught by Linda Harden, which you can find here: http://tv.cakemasters.com/pages/course/portal.aspx?courseid=12

The actual design is pretty basic, but preparing the cake for fondant, including ganaching...and after, getting a sharp fondant edge at the top, is really amazing...I learned a lot.

She's a great teacher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%