From Scratch That Tasted Like Boxed Mix?

Baking By ChrissieJennett Updated 3 Nov 2013 , 4:12pm by SystemMod1

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:28am
post #31 of 39

Ps Try one of Toba Garret's recipes...I've had very good results from hers. I've never made a white cake from her recipe- but her yellow cake and lemon-coconut cake come out very nice.

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 5:51am
post #32 of 39

There's one question I didn't see answered in your original post. Are you looking for the recipe for yourself or for your customers? *If I missed it, my apologies*

I ask this because, if you have a few recipes that are getting rave reviews from your customers, you may want to stop and think that they may not want a cake that taste like a box cake. You should be tailoring your recipes for them, not yourself.

If it's for you, by all means, you like what you like and I can only repeat what a few others said about referencing the Cake Bible, other resources and doing your own experimentation. Just remember, the flavor and texture combo you're looking for will be almost impossible without the artificial additives and stabilizers as stated before. If this was my quest and I had found the holy grail of a scratch- box cake recipe, I would have shared it. GL

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 6:56am
post #33 of 39

AI agree that if your customers like your scratch cakes as they currently taste then don't worry about it. Just make box cake for yourself!

If you're still looking for recipes I like the 1-2-3-4 recipe (google it), be sure to use whole milk or it will be dry.

One way to replicate the box taste you are looking for would be to use vanillin or an imitation vanilla extract. It's a different taste to real vanilla, but it is what goes into pretty much all box mixes. I know because it gives me terrible reflux when I have it! Some people also add pudding mix to their scratch cakes, which some of the box mixes have too. Hopefully both of these ideas will be helpful.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 10:42am
post #34 of 39

If you're looking for a good scratch white cake, try FromScratchSF's recipe.  Very good cake.  She spent a lot of time researching and coming up with this recipe and it is now my go-to recipe. She also gives variations you can make from this same recipe.  Follow her directions to a "T" and you'll be happy.

www.fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part3-with-recipe.  

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 11:59am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingitreal21 

There's one question I didn't see answered in your original post. Are you looking for the recipe for yourself or for your customers? *If I missed it, my apologies*

I ask this because, if you have a few recipes that are getting rave reviews from your customers, you may want to stop and think that they may not want a cake that taste like a box cake. You should be tailoring your recipes for them, not yourself.

If it's for you, by all means, you like what you like and I can only repeat what a few others said about referencing the Cake Bible, other resources and doing your own experimentation. Just remember, the flavor and texture combo you're looking for will be almost impossible without the artificial additives and stabilizers as stated before. If this was my quest and I had found the holy grail of a scratch- box cake recipe, I would have shared it. GL

I agree.  If you like the tastes of box mix why not just use it. If you still are looking for a scratch that taste as close to box as possible I would try the cook’s illustrated one suggested, for they test their recipes over and over.  

ChrissieJennett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrissieJennett Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:47pm
post #36 of 39

AThank you everyone!

Sweetpea1108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpea1108 Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 6:30am
post #37 of 39

I completely agree with your post. While I can be a 'food snob' my self sometimes. I actually prefer the taste and texture of box yellow or white cake and I believe most of my clients expect that as well. It doesn't matter who started baking when. sorry you got that negative response to your post. But I'm right there with you and I have a culinary and baking and pastry arts degree as well. I find it to be personal preference. However, I have found that Kroger Butternut flavor is the exact flavor of yellow cake mix. It won't work for white cakes though because it has a yellow color to it. I'm still looking to perfect my recipe as well or find one that I like better than the one's I'm currently using. good luck on your search!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 9:21am
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieJennett 

Call me crazy, but I cannot find a from-scratch recipe that tastes as good, and comes out as fluffy and moist as boxed cake.  If I find one that tastes decent, it's too dry, too dense, or there's something else weird about the consistency.  If I find one with a good consistency, it doesn't taste quite like I want it to.  What gives?  Does anyone have a fool proof recipe?  White or yellow?  Thanks!

ChrissieJennett:  stick with what you are doing well now, white & yellow box mixes.

It has taken me years of experimenting with tons of different recipes from dozens of cookbooks/webstites (lots of them going into the trashcan) to find recipes that I like just for myself.

No such thing as 'fool proof' baking!   everyone's pans, ovens, local ingredients, weather, elevation, humidity, method of baking  etc etc etc is different.  So that what you cook in your kitchen, is not the same as what will come out of my Alaska kitchen.

Also when it's 50 below zero in winter here, it's not the same as when it's 80 above zero in summer here -- in my own kitchen.

If you're in business then sell whatever makes your customers happy (millions of bakeries selling box mix cakes can't be wrong).  If your baking for yourself, buy the box and enjoy.

Cheers.

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 4:12pm
post #39 of 39

This thread has run its course.  Thank you for your participation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%