Stencil Pattern For A Young Man's Cake?

Decorating By LizzieAylett Updated 20 Jul 2013 , 2:29pm by LizzieAylett

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 11:30am
post #1 of 11

Hi, can anyone think of a good stencil that I could get to do a pattern on the side of a cake?  It's for a young man who is very definitely not in touch with his feminine side!  So anything floral or lacy is out of the picture.

I am intending to do a cube cake in either black and white or grey and white.  This would be my first time using stencils, so nothing too complicated! 

Thanks.

PS, I am in the UK.

10 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 11

You could do chevrons. 

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 11

Or some sort of geometric pattern. 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 11

How young? What type of music does he like? Hobbies?

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 11

"bct806" beat me to it on chevrons (you could even find out if he has any military interests, and do chevrons to match the rank insignia of his favorite branch of the service, current or historical, e.g., red and gold chevrons if he's a marine).

If he's into trains, how about a silhouette of a freight train. If he's into music, how about a staff, with a favorite melody notated on it, or maybe a keyboard. If he's into sports, the equipment used in his favorite sport. The possibilities are endless, but "BatterUpCake" is right:  to do it well, you need to know what he's interested in.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 11

AArgyle with a diamond cutter?

LizzieAylett Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 11

Sorry for not responding - I didn't get any notifications of replies :-(

He is in his early twenties and most definitely not into trains!  His life up until recently was one of alcoholism and crime, so I don't think it would be wise to base the cake on his history!  He is from Es*** and quite typical of the kind of people from there... 

I'd quite like it to be a repetitive geometric pattern so am going to go with a grey background with narrow white chevrons (thanks for the idea, BCT), and one feature chevron of chocolate brown.  Do you think that sounds good?  It's kind of neutral.

Thanks for all the responses - I'll keep them in mind for other cakes.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieAylett 

He is from Es***

The notorious Cake Central autocensor (which nonetheless freely passes the technical term for male genitalia: see the recent "Dexter cake" thread) strikes again.

LizzieAylett Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 11

Haha!  I wondered if it would do that :-)

What do people think of me painting a chevron silver as the feature instead of brown?  It might add that Ess-ex bling?

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:10am
post #10 of 11

Just make sure it's truly an edible product, and not something like Disco Dust.

LizzieAylett Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for your help.  In the end I didn't make the cake as he had something else planned.  I'm really keen to try out the design, though, so will try it at the next suitable opportunity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%