Faux Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Ann Marie Updated 2 Jul 2013 , 10:12pm by icer101

Ann Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ann Marie Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:37am
post #1 of 9

Has anyone out there tried Bakehouse Faux Cream Cheese Buttercream icing?  If so, what was the result...did it taste like actual cream cheese icing?  Here is the recipe, but I haven't tried it:

Bakehouse Faux Cream Cheese Buttercream
6 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Use whip attachment and add:
1 cup warm buttermilk (heated up gently to warm, not hot or boiling)- whip till smooth and cool

add: 2-2/3 cup hi-ratio shortening
1-1/2 sticks butter in 1 inch pieces, slightly chilled
Whip till light and fluffy.

8 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:34am
post #2 of 9

Hmmm. Never heard of it. Why wouldn't you just add cream cheese?

Ann Marie Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 9

Hi btc806:  I happened to find the recipe on another cake central forum, but there were few follow-up replyies to it.  I need a cream cheese icing/filling that does not need refrigeration and the person who posted the recipe said that he uses this recipe all the time, that it requires no refrigeration and that people are always surprised that there is no cream cheese in it.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 9

I use Loranns cream cheese emulsion with either IMBC or Buttercream Dream

Ann Marie Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 9

What is buttercream dream?

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 9

It's a recipe that was suggested on here. It uses some salted butter to cut some of the sweetness of traditional AB...

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Marie 

Hi btc806:  I happened to find the recipe on another cake central forum, but there were few follow-up replyies to it.  I need a cream cheese icing/filling that does not need refrigeration and the person who posted the recipe said that he uses this recipe all the time, that it requires no refrigeration and that people are always surprised that there is no cream cheese in it

Gotcha. Yeah. The heat here is absolutely awful! 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 9

I really don't see any difference in using buttermilk and cream cheese.  Both are dairy.  That said the cream cheese frosting on Earlene's site is very good and she claims it dons not need refrigeration.  

PS Use the recipe and stay far, far away from the serving chart.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 9

Hi, is this the whimsical bakehouse buttercream recipe. I have that and made it. It calls for boiling water, the directions are the same except this is  using warm buttermilk. Is this a different persons recipe that is like the whimsical bakehouse b/c recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%