New First Cake!! What Do You Think.. Did I Do Okay?

Decorating By dwood622 Updated 15 Jun 2013 , 2:11pm by Nin55

dwood622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dwood622 Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 20

I'm pretty happy with my first ever cake... I could have done a couple things different, learning as I go.... but I'd love a little feedback - it was a lot of work, and I have a new appreciation for cake decorators! 

(for my daughter in-laws shower tomorrow! 

http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/d/d6/d6173440_babycake.jpeg

19 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 20

Really, that's your first cake? It's beautiful! The little shoes and bib are so cute. Your DIL will love it!

Omas Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omas Cakes Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 20

AYou did a great job! Really cute idea, love the bib & shoes. Know it'll be a big hit!

flourchild11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourchild11 Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 20

It's adorable!

Drxkfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Drxkfairy Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 20

Super cute!!!

CreationsbyNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsbyNicole Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 12:02am
post #6 of 20

Awesome job!  I am very impressed, I wouldn't believe it was your first cake if you hadn't said so!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 12:05am
post #7 of 20

The cake is adorable.  You did a great job!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 12:29am
post #8 of 20

Applause, Applause, Applause!!! Fantastic job.  Your shoes came out nicer than mine did for sure.  Love the design.  The bib, the ribbon at the bottom, the bow etc.  A little busy with the flowers for my taste, that's just me.  Your DIL will be ecstatic over it, I'm sure.

Congrats to you and your family on the new addition.

dwood622 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 1:26am
post #9 of 20

Thank you!! Yes.. I may have used too many flowers!  lol...

Question, if anyone is still reading! I made the cakes 1 week ago - stored in the freezer until last night. I removed them fill between the layers and crumb coated it. It sat all night ... 13 hours or so. I frosted it, using the viva paper towel.. and all looked good until tonight - a bubble under the frosting formed! I was able to pat it back in.. but hope thats the last one! What would cause this?

dreamcakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakestoo Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 1:35am
post #10 of 20

I've heard that it happens more with cakes that are frozen and then brought back up to room temp after they are iced.  As the inside warms up it expands and forces any air out.  I've never frozen mine but I've had it happen a couple times when I had a large dam for a loose wet filling and maybe not enough filling to keep from creating a small air gap behind the dam which was forced out as the cake settled with the icing and decorations pressing down on it.  I now really try to force the top layer down good onto the filling to make sure it presses out any air gaps before I ice the cake. 

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 1:42am
post #11 of 20

That's exactly what happened.  It sounds like it was still a bit frozen.  I thaw mine making sure they are completely thawed first, fill, put in fridge with a plate sitting on it.  This will pack it down and squeeze out all the air trapped.  Not to mention that it will help with leveling.  1/2 hr to hour should do the trick, then crumb coat.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 2:56am
post #12 of 20

Far better than my first cake was! Great job!

Deb2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb2013 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:08am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood622 

Thank you!! Yes.. I may have used too many flowers!  lol...

Question, if anyone is still reading! I made the cakes 1 week ago - stored in the freezer until last night. I removed them fill between the layers and crumb coated it. It sat all night ... 13 hours or so. I frosted it, using the viva paper towel.. and all looked good until tonight - a bubble under the frosting formed! I was able to pat it back in.. but hope thats the last one! What would cause this?

I just read in a post yesterday that when covered with fondant, you might get a bubble because everything is sealed. The suggestion was to make sure there was a break at the bottom where the fondant meets the cake board, so air can escape. 
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:12am
post #14 of 20

A+.   Your cake looks 100 percent professional.  (Can you tell I was a teacher.) icon_biggrin.gif

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:14am
post #15 of 20

That's your first cake??  Awesome!  Super cute.

dwood622 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 11:05am
post #16 of 20

Thank you for al the great comments and help! I guess I better look up and google that dam you are all talking about!  LOL... I have been able to press those bubble back in - thank goodness! I was afraid of what I would be facing this morning, but besides the 2 big ones, I don't see any more (of course - I need to finish my coffee!

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 11:29am
post #17 of 20

Blimey! I wish that my first cake came out as good as that let alone the baby shoes. You seemed to have mastered gumpaste well.  Great cake. I am sure this will be the beginning of an obsession though. Well done. I love the cake and I don't really like busy cakes but this just fits.

dwood622 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 11:36am
post #18 of 20

Thank you!! I do love crafts and this was up my alley making the shoes! I do think (well I KNOW) I spent more money of cake stuff than it would have cost me to buy the cake - but it has been fun and rewarding to do it myself!

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 12:13pm
post #19 of 20

This cake is beauuuuutiful! I cannot believe that's your first ever cake! That means you have a real talent for decorating, imagine what your second cake is gonna look like

Nin55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nin55 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 2:11pm
post #20 of 20

Well, I certainly am impressed!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%