Help With Tips For An 80 Degree Day.

Decorating By Deb2013 Updated 14 Jun 2013 , 2:30am by Deb2013

Deb2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb2013 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 3:06am
post #1 of 4

I'll be delivering a cake for my niece's shower  this Sat. - 1-1/2 hours away (w/lots of bumpy back roads!) and the temperature is slated to be 80 degrees here that day. There is no AC at the destination, but the weather forecast says it will be sunny & 75 degrees. Thankfully, they are in the woods and maybe that will help keep the place a bit cooler.

The cake will be six, 1" layers, buttercream filled, straw or dowel supports (I have both) through the bottom 3 layers and a support board between layer #3 & 4, and all covered with fondant.

I'm thinking I should freeze the cake before travel?

I've never transported a cake before, and I've been reading about problems when the temperature goes over 75, and things melting. I'd appreciate any tips from veteran bakers out there who have been through this and can ease my anxiety. :)  

Thanks,

Deb

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:05am
post #2 of 4

BC begins to break down at 85 degrees, so 75 is fine.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 6:01am
post #3 of 4

ARemember to take the humidity and heat index into consideration. Where I live the temperature can be 95° but with the humidity and heat index it'll feel like 105°. But we're already in the 90's. Since its only 75° where you are, you probably don't have the humidity like we do.

Deb2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb2013 Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 2:30am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

Remember to take the humidity and heat index into consideration. Where I live the temperature can be 95° but with the humidity and heat index it'll feel like 105°.
But we're already in the 90's. Since its only 75° where you are, you probably don't have the humidity like we do.

It normally isn't very humid here, but it's been raining for 40 days and 40 nights and we've begun to see small animals floating down the road. (no, not really, but it feels like we might) Thankfully, the weather is supposed to break and be sunny and 75-ish Saturday. Typically after this kind of storm, the incoming air will be much dryer, but it will be days before things start drying out around here. (Mass.)

What should I be watching out for if it's very warm and humid? My BC icing has shortening in it, as I read that will stand up to heat better. I haven't yet researched the best way to travel a long distance with such a cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%