What's Your Policy For Cold Feet Brides?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 12 Jun 2013 , 6:50pm by LKing12

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 5

I rarely do wedding cakes because they stress me out so much.   I agreed to do one for my mother's best friend's daughter and got a call today, (3 days before wedding) saying they don't need the cake.  I guess they've had an argument and cancelled the whole thing.  This was a three tiered cake to feed 150. I'm going to give her the money back because she's a close friend of the family, but it made me realize I need to come up with some kind of policy on this. Anybody want to share theirs?  I'm especially interested in the time frame of  how long they have to cancel.  Thanks in advance!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 5

Sure.  25% down, to hold the date, non-refundable for any reason.

Remainder due 3 weeks prior, non-refundable for any reason.

And I really do mean ANY reason.

You think the venue, caterer or florist is giving these people any money back.  Let me answer that, "no."

Being a friend should not mean they take advantage of you.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 5

I do 50% when the conract is signed and the balance due 30 days prior to the due date.  Both are non-refundable.  For each week payment is late, it's a $25 charge.  If it is not paid for 2 weeks before the wedding, the order is canceled.  I haven't had any issues with cancelations, yet thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 5

........ 25% down, to hold the date, non-refundable for any reason. Remainder due 3 weeks prior, non-refundable for any reason.   And I really do mean ANY reason...............

I basically agree w/this except for one reason and only one.  That is a death in the *immeadate family*.

And that does NOT include Aunt Sue, cousin James or anyone other than bride, groom, mothers or dads.

I once had a groom die something like 5 days before wedding.  So I gave them back all but the down payment.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 5

$100.00 to hold the date and the rest 30 days before the event.  None refundable once paid.  I might for a death in the immediate family-but if it was already baked I might not refund the total remaining balance.  Haven't had to deal with that, but would consider giving back a great percentage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%