Black Fondant

Decorating By sjheat Updated 24 Jul 2013 , 5:28pm by AngelFood4

sjheat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjheat Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 4:33am
post #1 of 12

I am planning on making this cake for a wedding in a couple of weeks and I need some help!! I am going to be making it using marshmallow fondant and I need some tips/advice on how to get the horseshoes black (I know they are silver in the picture) and the fence brown. I understand it's probably not possible to get them these colors by using food coloring but I'm so confused about powders and dusts and which ones to buy and not buy.

If someone could please point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

11 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 6:37am
post #2 of 12

AMost people prefer to buy black and red fondant because making those colors yourself could be a pain. Since it looks like you're only going to need a small amount, you could try this recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipe/true-black-mmf

TamathaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaG Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 7:03am
post #3 of 12

To get brown I mix in coco that's what I used to make my monkey

Monkey first birthday

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 7:08am
post #4 of 12

For small amounts of black you can also buy soft licorice and roll that out.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 10:28am
post #5 of 12

ANix on the liquorice. Just the smell makes me puke. I would demand my money back from a cake with liquorice on it. The smell/flavour would infect the entire cake and render it inedible.

If you only need small amounts at a time, purchase a small package and cut it into smaller portions. Wrap them up good in plastic bags, put in a Tupperware and freeze. Thaw and use as needed.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 11:41am
post #6 of 12

Ha, I love licorice.  Fondant I peel off and throw away but I must confess I had not thought about your points.  Don't need to I suppose when you are not selling your cakes.

sjheat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjheat Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 12

I guess what I was really trying to ask ( I didn't word it well at all) was if I make the shapes out of regular white fondant, is there some kind of edible paint or gel that I can brush on to give it the color I want???

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 12

AUm, yeah. You could use gel colors or air brush.

lala773 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lala773 Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 12

ADoes anybody know a good way of using the natural food colours ??

Jackie_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie_S Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 12

I just made a batch of black mmf. I used brown/chocolate marshmallows, black candy melts and a little super black gel food coloring. I melted the marshmallows and then the candy melts and mixed them together and then added maybe two squirts of super black gel coloring. Mixed that together and then added sifted powdered sugar until I got the consistency I wanted, Wrapped it in plastic wrap and let sit overnight. Worked like a charm.

knock off cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knock off cakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:12am
post #11 of 12

AI make black mmf all the time. Just a couple of things to remember, black will continue to darken for a couple of hours as it dries. I usually get it a very dark grey and it will turn out black in an hour or so. Also I have found that humidity and mixing colours plays a big part with fondants. If it is stickyore icing sugar. If it is dry and crumblyore shortening.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 12

An easy way to cheat and get the horseshoes silver is to make gray fondant and then brush it with a pearl dust color.  I like to dilute dusts with vodka and paint it on.  Personally, I think the horseshoes will look better in silver vs. black.  You can buy silver sprays and silver dust colors but I don't like how they work (they're either too dark or too difficult to get an even coating with).

For the fence, you can marble a light brown and a lighter tan fondant together, cut out the fence posts, draw in the grooves for the wood grain then with some brown coloring diluted way way down with vodka, you can brush it over the fence.  It'll make the grooves pop and add some dimension to it.

I've used both of these techniques on my cakes and decorations and works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%