Best Powdered Sugar For Frosting?

Baking By cag1335 Updated 8 Jun 2013 , 10:13pm by kakeladi

cag1335 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cag1335 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 3

Here's my 1st post!!  party.gif

My daughter is turning 5 and will be having a sort of Princess themed party in the park princess.gif... in Los Angeles.... in June. That means its going to be HOT. 

I am making super chocolaty mini cupcakes with chocolate butter cream (Ina Garten's recipe, I love it.) and some white mini cupcakes, haven't decided the recipe yet.

In the past, when I use the cheapie store-brand powdered sugar the frosting comes out either gritty, toooo sweet, kind of cardboard flavored and what-not. I went one time with using an organic brand of powdered sugar from whole foods and it had small chunks in it that clogged the piping tips. Can someone give me pointers on the best icing / frosting sugar out there? I'm sure I will need to add a little extra sugar to keep the frosting from falling / melting in the LA summer heat and really don't want it to be sickeningly sweet. 

Thanks for all your help!! 

2 replies
Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 3

Congratulations! On sugar brand I don't know I always use HEB store brand and it works great but do make sure you are sifting your powdered sugar before you mix it in. Buttercream is sweet but if you want to cut it a little bit put miniscule amounts of salt in it and possibly use salted butter too. When putting the salt in, do it very slowly and TASTE it each time!icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 3

C & H brand is prbably the best one on the market.  Some store brands are o.k. but as you have found, others are not.

Here's a great recipe to try.  It is not grainy nor all that sweet (at least to me!)

http://cakecentral.com/a/2-icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%