Copyright Help....

Decorating By p0ppy_s33d Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 9:17pm by Sweet_Cakes

p0ppy_s33d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p0ppy_s33d Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:03am
post #1 of 10

AI have someone who wants a hunger games themed cake. I was wanting to use the quote "may the odds be forever in your favor" and a mocking jay but am I allowed? could i do the mockingjay pin or do I need to just do the bird in a completely different position? This is the first movie themed cake I'm doing so I'm not sure about any of this copyright stuff.

9 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:33am
post #2 of 10

Anything that is copyrighted is not supposed to be used without permission of the person or entity holding such rights.  Or should I say "written permission"

p0ppy_s33d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p0ppy_s33d Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:02am
post #3 of 10

A

Original message sent by auntginn

Anything that is copyrighted is not supposed to be used without permission of the person or entity holding such rights.  Or should I say "written permission"

Well then I guess my question becomes, are those things copyrighted? I know movie titles are but a quote and object from the movie?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:02am
post #4 of 10

AMockingjay is both the name of the book and an original creation by the author, so I would steer clear of using it without permission.

Whether or not the quote itself is sufficiently original to be copyrightable is a little hazier. If you wanted to err on the side of caution I would avoid it as well and look for licensed figures instead.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 4:53am
post #5 of 10

http://www.guidethroughthelegaljungleblog.com/2008/07/staying-legal-when-using-quotes.html

This site talks about copyrights on quotes. And not to nitpick, but it is "May the odds be ever in your favor" not forever. 

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 11:22am
post #6 of 10

How does one get permission to make cakes such as these? It is a difficult process?

jason_kraft Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 10

A

Original message sent by Sweet_Cakes

How does one get permission to make cakes such as these? It is a difficult process?

The hardest part is finding out who owns the copyright, once you know the name of the company you can find their contact information, then call and ask them to send you written permission to duplicate the copyrighted elements in question.

More info: http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/copyright-law-and-cake-decorating/

TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 10

AMany will disagree with me on this, and I may be taking a risk, but I feel like its not going to be an issue unless the cake is extremely high profile. If you aren't on cake boss, or making the cake for a group of lawyers, I'm pretty sure you aren't getting sued for a little girls birthday cake.... Just my personal view, though.....

jason_kraft Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 10

A

Original message sent by TheCakeDude

Many will disagree with me on this, and I may be taking a risk, but I feel like its not going to be an issue unless the cake is extremely high profile. If you aren't on cake boss, or making the cake for a group of lawyers, I'm pretty sure you aren't getting sued for a little girls birthday cake.... Just my personal view, though.....

If an infringing cake gets posted publicly online along with a description (e.g. "Hunger Games Cake") it would be trivial for the copyright owner to find it and track down where it came from. To mitigate the risk you would need to make sure no one posts a picture of the cake online.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

The hardest part is finding out who owns the copyright, once you know the name of the company you can find their contact information, then call and ask them to send you written permission to duplicate the copyrighted elements in question.

More info:
http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/copyright-law-and-cake-decorating/

Thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%