Decorating Help Needed!!!

Decorating By CakeRae80 Updated 31 May 2013 , 3:15am by bct806

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 30 May 2013 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 5

So I have a 9X13 & a 11X15 cake that are both graduation themed. I have my ideas for each cake already picked out. But each cake will be all buttercream (per customers request) and the ideas I'm doing to the cake will also be buttercream.  My question is how do you personally fill in items with buttercream?  I think the "stars" are cute, but dated. I don't want these cakes to look dated. I prefer to work with fondant vs. buttercream therefore I don't do much with buttercream.  Any ideas would be great.  If it helps, I am doing a graduation cap on each cake, one will have a football w/the number on top of the buttercream and the other will have a diploma that looks to be rolled up. TIA!!!!

4 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 5

Do you mean filling in the empty spaces or the diploma/hat? I am partial to butter cream transfers for that sort of thing.

It's not really my area of expertise, I do very few cakes like that, but I like how neat and tidy a transfer is compared to just piping it straight onto the cake. It's filled in smoothly, so there are no piping lines showing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 5

You could make the cap as a fzn b'cream transfer.   Outline and cap *backwords*, then fill in w/a zig-zag and smooth it. Do this on wax paper of plastic wrap, then freeze.  It can be made rather big as needed if you put the paper on a cookie sheet.  Once frozen, plop it on the cake & peel off the paper/warp.  Or if you're really careful you could do it right on the cake (no fz'ing needed).

Other options, make the cap from chocolate; of make a 3-d cap using a mini doll skirt cupcake & flat piece of choco;

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 30 May 2013 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 5

I just outline and fill in with a round tip and then smooth with an offset spatula. I have never done a buttercream transfer. 

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 31 May 2013 , 3:15am
post #5 of 5

I do the piping gel transfer. Draw on parchment paper, outline in piping gel, then transfer that onto my cake to use as an outline. I fill it in using whatever tip is necessary for the look I want. The only buttercream transfer I ever did was a disaster and doing it this way always works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%