What Frosting Do You Use For Smash Cakes? Too Much Crust On Mine I Think!

Baking By mystsparkle Updated 7 Jun 2013 , 4:23pm by Paperfishies

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 30 May 2013 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 7

This may seem a little odd---- but I just started to think about this, of course AFTER I made the cake...

I made a Giant Cupcake Smash cake - using my standard frosting (2 sticks of butter, 1 cup of Crisco, 2 lbs powder sugar) - This crusts really well....

But for a smash cake -  now who knows if the baby will touch it, beings it hard!!! -  What could I do to convert my normal crusting icing,  to a more 'messy' non crusting, but still pipe-able icing??

Or is there a better recipe out there that I could use just for smash cakes??  Any input would be great!

Thanks!

6 replies
lesucreaufour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesucreaufour Posted 30 May 2013 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 7

I use a swiss meringue buttercream. It's delicious and does not crust as much. I use it under fondant ans buttercream decorated cakes.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 30 May 2013 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 7

I can't imagine that your crusting BC is so hard that a one year old cant get their fingers into it.  I wouldn't worry about the bit of a crust that a typical crusting BC gets.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 7

That is a very common recipe for icing that crusts nicely but never *HARD* .  If yours is that hard something is wrong.  There should be NO problem w/the child playing in/with it if you are following a simple recipe using  2 cups of fat to 2#s of sugar.  He/she will do a *great!* job of getting messy!

BTW:  why such a *HUGE* cake for a smash cake?   Usually it is a very small cake that is for the child only, then a 'full sized' cake for everyone to eat.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 7

A lot of people want a giant cupcake for a smash cake, it's cute for pictures.

Your regular recipe should be just fine, but if you are worried IMBC or SWBC stay nice and soft.

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 30 May 2013 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all! I adjusted the recipe I use and only used 1 lb instead of 2 of the powder sugar..it still crusted, slightly, but much softer...but also melty when working with the piping bag lol. But it'll work for the cake.  The recipe I use now crusts nicely, but still soft underneath, but thought for a cake like this it would be better to be no crust.

Does seem like a large cake for a smash cake - I baked just the top (which was about 2 cups of batter) and then just made the shell of chocolate for the bottom with no cake inside..but I do think it's more for the photo op then for the child to eat! lol

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 7

I just use my normal buttercream recipe but add an extra couple tablespoons of heavy whipping cream.  It's nice and creamy and messy, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%