How Long Can I Freeze?

Decorating By gem3110 Updated 30 May 2013 , 8:59am by gem3110

gem3110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gem3110 Posted 29 May 2013 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 4

AHi everyone, I'm making a 3 tiered large cake and am hiring a large 14 inch tin. I need to make a single tier 14inch cake for the 1st July. I am hiring and making the cakes on the 5th June. If I made a spare cake would this last in the freezer until the 1st July so I don't need to re hire. Not sure.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
psgodusa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psgodusa Posted 29 May 2013 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 4

I guess generally if properly wrapped and covered, the cakes can be frozen for at least 3 months without problem. I always cover them in saran wrap first and then in aluminum foil. The maximum time I have frozen a cake is around 1 month, not more than that.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 May 2013 , 12:06am
post #3 of 4

Yes, properly wrapped a cake will last in the freezer up to 1 year.  Of course, almost none of us would keep one that long but remember that many brides save the top tier of their wedding cake to eat on the 1st anniversary :)

To wrap for fzing, let the cake cool until still a bit warm to touch.  Wrap in plastic wrap rather tight BUT....be careful not to be so tight as to warp the cake.  Then wrap in foil.  Warning: never wrap cake just in foil - always in plastic 1st.  When placing in freezer, be sure it sits flat - in fact best to put it on a cake board or cookie sheet until hard, then you can remove that.  For short term (up to 2 weeks) I just put cake in a plastic bag but since you are keeping it for a month, the double wrap it.

gem3110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gem3110 Posted 30 May 2013 , 8:59am
post #4 of 4

AThank you for all your responses! Think I will make it and freeze it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%