Marshmallow Fondant... For Sculpting?

Decorating By adda lee Updated 24 May 2013 , 4:33pm by jennyp1232002

adda lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adda lee Posted 23 May 2013 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 5

AHello!

I'm an amateur baker, and I'm new to CC. I've gotta say, I'm already in love with the community here!

I'm going to be baking my brother's wedding cake in about a week. They want a simple, small two tiered cake with white icing and sculpted succulent plants. (Apparently this is a popular look, I found a ton of cakes like this on Pinterest.).

I know I can make really well-sculpted plants, I've had great success sculpting marzipan before, and I found some great tutorials. But I'm unsure about the medium. Last time I sculpted with marzipan, the decorations looked great, but tasted very bitter. It's also a little on the oily side.

So the tutorials I've found use fondant. Two years ago, I made marshmallow fondant to cover a cake, and I was amazed by how easy it was and how well it turned out. But would it be amenable to sculpting?

I don't know how different it is from commercial fondant, or if I'd want to add more powdered sugar or cornstarch or something...

Has anyone tried this?

4 replies
jennyp1232002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennyp1232002 Posted 23 May 2013 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 5

AI would use a mix of 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. I'm a bit new to this as well but have had great success when combining the two for sculptures.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 23 May 2013 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 5

AI'm a little confused. Do you want to sculpt the plants or model them? When you describe it it does sound like modeling, but you use the word sculpt.

adda lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adda lee Posted 23 May 2013 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 5

AOh, duh, I totally mean model.

I was wondering about gumpaste, I know nothing about it! Is Wilton's any good?

jennyp1232002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennyp1232002 Posted 24 May 2013 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 5

AI use the wilton gum paste and it works womderful. It's very easy to color and work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%