Rose Cake

Decorating By cupcake613 Updated 26 May 2013 , 3:16pm by Apti

cupcake613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake613 Posted 23 May 2013 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 3

I made the rose cake with the 2M swirl, and some of the flowers started falling off.  Seeing this question was addressed here earlier, I think part of the problem was that my crumb coat was dry when I started applying the roses.  Also, maybe I didn't push the tip in enough, but when I do push more into frosting, I seem to lose a lot of the "rose effect" and it just looks more like a swirl that a fluffed out rose.  what am I doing wrong?

Also, I re-piped the fallen roses, and froze the cake hoping it'll stiffen everything up and keep more from falling off.  Right now, all is good in the freezer. Any suggestion though, how do best defrost to keep it intact?  thanks.

2 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 26 May 2013 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 3

I wouldn't crumb coat a rosette cake, as there is little to no risk of crumbs getting in the icing.  Also make sure your icing isn't too loose and that you keep it cool.  That's a ton of icing to put on the side of a cake so it needs to be stiff and cool.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 3

I had 2 "roses" fall off a 10" x 6" round cake.  I washed my hands, and using a butter knife and my hands, gently pushed them back into place.  It only happened on this one cake, but now I pay more attention to the details. 

Some of it will come with practice and you will find out what works best.  The consistency of your frosting, the "stickiness" of the cake surface or crumb coat surface, the technique of piping just close enough and with enough pressure to get the rose effect without problems.    Just do a few more cakes and you'll have it down.

Re:  Defrosting the cake. 

When you put it in the freezer, ideally it should have been placed in a box just slightly larger than the cake and cake board.  Personally, I go for overkill, and then wrap the box in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.  When you remove the cake from the freezer, LEAVE it in the box, and LEAVE on the plastic wrap/foil.  As the cake is defrosting (1-2 hours at room temperature), the condensation will form on the outer layers of plastic wrap/foil and box, NOT on the cake inside.

If you haven't pre-wrapped, you can still do that immediately when you remove the cake from the freezer and it will have the same effect.

Prepare some matching buttercream in a piping bag with the appropriate tip, have it at room temperature, and if something does fall off, you can do some repairs and nobody will ever know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%