Blackberry Filling Question

Decorating By tsal Updated 19 May 2013 , 11:03pm by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 18 May 2013 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

Yesterday, I used CakeMommy's blackberry filling recipe (which is AMAZING if anyone is looking for a good berry filling recipe).   This was my first berry-filling experience.   I wasn't sure how thick to make the berry filling layer as I was topping the berry filling with a mascarpone filling (which was also divine).  I decided to make the berry layer half as thick as the mascarpone layer.

Anyway, when I cut the cake, I noticed that the berry filling was extremely thin and it may have even seeped into the cake.  I did make sure that its consistency was very thick when I prepared it (it was just as thick as jam when I put it on the cake).

Did I miss a step?  Was I supposed to put a layer of buttercream on the cake before putting on the fruit filling to seal it and prevent seepage?

2 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 19 May 2013 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 3

You did everything correctly.  The jam layer needs to go directly onto the cake and it's a good thing that it seeps in.  If you put a layer of buttercream then the jam you'll create an ice rink and the layer on top of the jam will reach it's destination before you do.  (if you get my drift).

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 19 May 2013 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 3

AAh!! Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%