Macsmom Orange Dreamsicle Cake Question

Decorating By Smckinney07 Updated 19 May 2013 , 11:23am by Smckinney07

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 11 May 2013 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 6

AI know there are tons of forums for Macmoms' delicious recipes, however, I needed some help quickly! I'm trying her Dreamsicle cake for my mother-in-law tonight, I was lucky enough to find an actual Orange Box Mix but now I'm confused as to what flavorings I should add.

I was thinking subbing oj for the liquid, orange flavoring (or I also have an orange dreamsicle compound sample from Amoretti-but I read the compounds were more for cheesecakes,etc.), and orange dreamsicle yogurt.

Also, I was told to use a diet sunkist but I read of other people using regular sunkist-is there a difference in the chemicals or flavoring, or is this a calorie thing?

Do I use orange juice and sunkist or just one? And should I use diet sunkist or regular, (I personally prefer regular sodas to diet)?

I'd appreciate any help I can get!

We are celebrating at our local winery, so I'm making a wine crate cake with a chocolate mold for the bottle, precut wooden panels for the sides, and I'm going to add a corkscrew, grapes, and leaves. Wish me good luck and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all you mama's out there!!!

5 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 12 May 2013 , 4:10am
post #2 of 6

ABump....sorry :) Just in need of help

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 12 May 2013 , 4:55am
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure about your questions. If you have an orange cake mix I think I would follow the directions as listed. The mac'smom orange dreamsicle cake recipe I used calls for a white cake mix, orange dreamsicle yogurt  and orange sherbert plus other ingredients. I believe she stated she came up with it when she couldn't find DH orange cake mix. I did use her recipe and received rave reviews on it. I'm not sure about the sunkist most of the time it is a preference thing like you said calories (cut them where you can). Once again if you have an orange mix I personally would just follow the directions and not take the chance of upsetting the chemical balance and have the cake fall. I don't think adding a little flavoring will affect hurt it any. Just my thoughts on the subject wish I could be more help. Good luck sounds like a fun cake. Please post pics when done

Smckinney07 Posted 16 May 2013 , 7:30am
post #4 of 6

AThanks for your response! I chickened out & went with my safe vanilla bean however, I plan on testing the OD cake this week. I have to get some pics up lol I feel like a phony ;)

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 6

If I use a orange mix, then I just follow the WASC recipe and use orange yogurt instead of sour cream.  When I make the recipe with white mix, I use diet orange soda instead of sherbert.  I know this is probably to late, but for furture reference...thumbs_up.gif

Smckinney07 Posted 19 May 2013 , 11:23am
post #6 of 6

AThanks girls!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%