6 Vs. 7 Quart - Help!

Decorating By cserwa Updated 11 May 2013 , 2:49am by auntginn

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 10 May 2013 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 18

HI CC world!  I am looking to upgrade mixers from my 5 quart kitchenaid, but I need help!  I have gone back and forth over this all week as I debate the 6 quart 600 professional KitchenAid or their 7 quart proline.  600 is on sale at khols for 450 and after 20% off and 60 dollars KHOLS bucks, it's only going to cost about 340, AND I'd get the free pasta roller attachment.  I'm a hobby baker, but I bake A LOT.

Or I can get the 7 quart from amazon or Williams Sonoma, but unless I'm an idiot, I can't find any coupons that work on their site, and no other retailer that I know of carries the 7...so it would be about 630 (on sale for 550 right now).  I can buy either now.  I could also wait til Black Friday to get the 7 if they usually have sales, but I just don't know.  So my questions:

1.) Do you have any advice regarding how often people actually use the pasta roller for fondant?  Is it worth having?

2.) Does the 7 quart do THAT much more batter to make it worth it to purchase instead?  I just DON'T want to get the 6 now and then a year from now wish I had just splurged on the 7. 

ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE OH SO HELPFUL!

17 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 May 2013 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 18

AI have a 7 & love it. Huge difference between it & my 5. For me, no brainer get the 7. I already wish I had a 10...well really I want a 20!

I do use my attachment for bands. I don't use it for much else. It's not wide enough for really anything else for me. By the time I add the attachment & roll it thin enough for the machine, I could have rolled out anything small. Great for bands!

cserwa Posted 10 May 2013 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 18

Thank you for replying!  Do you get THAT much more out of a 7 than a 6?  That's my hold up.  Why pay THAT much more AND no Khols cash AND no attachment if I can't mix THAT much more batter...

If I can, then it's absolutely a no brainer!!!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 10 May 2013 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 18

I wouldn't know the difference, but I've been wanting the one from Kohl's for a while now.  Thanks for this posting.

tcam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcam Posted 10 May 2013 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 18

After several years reading advice on this site,... I'm jumping in on this question.  There is a HUGE difference between the Khols 6 QT Kitchenaid, and the Williams Sonoma 7 QT.  Seriously, night and day difference.  Just like you're thinking, I upgraded from the 5 Qt to Khols 6 QT almost three years ago, because of the great coupon discount.  From day one, I was disappointed in the motor power, and kept using my smaller one when I needed a "stronger" mixer. 

I was leary when the 7 QT came out, thinking it would be the same, just a little bigger.  Couldn't be further from the truth!  I bought mine 5 months ago after reading so many raving reviews,... and have to say, they were right.  It's a beast!  The motor is plain powerful.  For me, it's not so much the extra quart that makes a difference, it's the motor.  My 6 QT strained making a triple batch of frosting, while my 7 QT handles a quadruple batch with ease. 

No question,... pay a little bit more and get the 7 QT.  You won't regret it.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 May 2013 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 18

It would be so nice if Kohl's would carry the 7 qt KA mixer.

I picked up two 6 qts KA on Black Friday for under $100 each after price matching and rebates, and got $190 in Kohl's Cash to boot.  Love love love Kohl's, their price matching policy and their Kohl's Cash!

I have several 6 qts, a 7 qt commercial Waring, a 20 qt and a 30 qt.  I actually use my 6 qts more than any of the rest...I have Beater Blades for the 6 qts which I love love love.  

For you, I think buying a 7 qt instead of upgrading from a 5 to a 6 qt makes more sense.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 10 May 2013 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 18

AThis one is refurbished but Anna on here ( Annabakescakes) says all 4 of hers that she owns are refurbished , she also knows of a website where to buy refurbished kitchenaid mixers for really good prices might want to personal message her and ask for the website.

Here's the one I found www.shopkitchenaid.com/more-ways-to-shop-1/outlet-3/-[RKSM7581MS]-401561/RKSM7581MS/

auntginn Posted 10 May 2013 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 18

My one and only KA was given to me, used.  I had work done on it once after 3yrs of using it.  When I picked it up from the service center, the guys says.  "Ok... we'll see you in another 25 yrs."  I just want to upgrade so I would totally buy a refurbished.  Gonna have to msg Anna.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 May 2013 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 18

AHuge difference! Worth the difference!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 18

AI have the 4.5, 6, and 7. I just got the 7 for mothers day a year ago (wow a year already). And I love it. I hardly ever use the 6 because it is barely big enough for my double recipes. The 7 handles them so well and seems more powerful. I still use the 4.5 for smaller jobs (still going strong after 20 + years). If I had to give up one of the 3 it would be the 6. I don't have the pasta roller and can't comment on that. HTH!

cupcakeqt72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeqt72 Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 18

The 7qt from Williams Sonoma should have the free pasta attachment. I got one in February when you got the free ice cream maker. I was bummed when I saw the free pasta attachment! I would love that! I am also a hobby baker that bakes at least once or twice a week. I have a 5qt that I love. My bf bought me the 7qt and I am thrilled with it! Go Big! :) I use both depending on what I am mixing.

Susan

auntginn Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 18

I went online to Kohls to check it out.  If I read it right, the attachement is a rebate from KA.  That being said you should be able to get the pasta attachment either when you buy it or send for it as a rebate.

hotbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotbaker Posted 10 May 2013 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 18

I gave up on using any mixer that isn't intended for commerical use. I now have a 7qt kitchen-aid commerical mixer and a 8 qt Globe mixer. You'll pay around $650 for the kitchen-aid commerical.

cserwa Posted 10 May 2013 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 18

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback.  I'll be waiting to get the 7!  NOw I just need to decide to buy now for 550 on sale or wait until November Black Friday and see what happens to pricing. 

Regarding the freebie - NO!  They won't do the rebate on the 7.  I called yesterday before posting, and they told me no, the 7 doesn't qualify.  I said, "That makes no sense.  You'd be PENALIZING me for spending MORE money on your product."  And they stood by it.  VERY STRANGE if you ask me. 

cserwa Posted 10 May 2013 , 11:55pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks for the info on refurbished - I'm looking into that now!

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 11 May 2013 , 12:30am
post #16 of 18

If you are a hobby baker how often do you double a recipe?  I can double a cake recipe or brownies in my 6 quart.  I have my mom's KA and a 6 qt profession KA.

Ask yourself will you be selling stuff or do you just do it because you love it.  That's a lot of money difference and it doesn't grow on trees.  As much as I might want a 7 qt.  I don't think the difference between 6-7  warrents spending the money.  I don't sell nor intend to sell from home.  I do work at a bakery where I can use the big machines but I end up using my own 6qt there often.  Give it some serious thought.  I also really want a reversible sheeter to do fondant but that ain't gonna happen so I can just keep rolling out fondant on the table.  Like others I have a lot invested in my toys /tools but I realize some things ( like cricut) were a real waste of money.

I think a lot depends on your financial situation....

good luck on your choice

cupcakeqt72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeqt72 Posted 11 May 2013 , 2:44am
post #17 of 18

The Williams Sonoma web site has the form to fill out when you purchase the 7qt for a free pasta roller. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/info/pages/popup/gwpkitchenaid311/

auntginn Posted 11 May 2013 , 2:49am
post #18 of 18

Yeah!!!  Thank you cupcake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%