Difference In Taste?

Decorating By Cakemommy2012 Updated 9 May 2013 , 9:40am by cazza1

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 8 May 2013 , 6:18am
post #1 of 6

Is there much-if any difference in taste if a cake is 1 day old or 4 days old?  I baked and froze my cakes last night, ganached them tonight, and plan on adding the fondant tomorrow--but cake isn't due until the day after that---making the cake over 4 days old.....just curious if there is any distinctive notice??

5 replies
RosieCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieCakeDiva Posted 8 May 2013 , 8:52am
post #2 of 6

Apparently Madeira tastes better after a couple of days. I often freeze my cakes and I think it retains the moisture better and helps it to last longer.

Many decorators say you can allow yourself a week to bake and decorate and a week to eat (although I would say during the first week is preferable!)

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 8 May 2013 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks!  I myself have never noticed a difference in taste but wasnt sure there was a huge difference.  I am assuming as it sits it drys out but with the ganache and Fondant it should retain most of its moisture longer. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2013 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 6

I personally don't notice much difference but......the drawback of making a cake 4 or more days ahead is  that the customer won't have much, if any, time to use up any leftovers.  Also, depending on how hot it is and how it is stored there is a danger of it getting moldy &/or sour.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 9 May 2013 , 7:57am
post #5 of 6

Depends on the cake you use, I do mudcake and they need to be at least three to four days old before you even touch them. They are crumbly and dry if you eat them before that. I bake anywhere from Sunday to Tuesday for a Friday or Saturday. My customers still have at least two weeks after that to eat their leftovers ( If they last that long ) 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 May 2013 , 9:40am
post #6 of 6

Heavy dense cakes, like mud cakes, will keep much longer than will light dryer cakes.  Each situation will depend on the type of cake and the atmospheric conditions at the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%