Which Icing Tip Creates This Effect?

Decorating By LauraLoukaides Updated 28 Aug 2015 , 11:50am by imagenthatnj

LauraLoukaides Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraLoukaides Posted 6 May 2013 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 20

I have been searching for a little while now, trying to figure out which icing tip creates the effect shown on the top of the cupcake (pictured).

I didn't know if it was one tip, swirled around, or, if it was like a ruffle effect..

19 replies
Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 6 May 2013 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 20

I would think it's Tip 1M angled about 45deg and swirled... This is only a guess though since I have never tried it. :)  Good luck!

Luvtobake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvtobake1960 Posted 6 May 2013 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 20

I am not seeing the picture :(

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 7 May 2013 , 10:02am
post #4 of 20

I can't see the photo either.

ummjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ummjade Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 20

If you're talking about what is directly on top of the cupcake, it looks like pieces of fondant folded over.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 20

Hard to say for sure...is that a full sized cupcake or a mini?

It's done using a star tip and swirled.  It it's full size a 1M would work, for a smaller a tip in the 20-22 range or a tip 32 would give a nice swirl.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 20

The little rose on top with done with a teardrop shaped tip. You can find loads of tutorials on YouTube. I would guess the person made them separately and then moved them onto the frosted cupcakes using a pair of scissors.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 20

Heh.

this same question awhile back pulled me into creating an account here. 

Look up thread titled "how do I get this swirl effect" and you too can join the club that gets mocked for asking how to swirl buttercream on a cupcake!.......just kidding!........kind of.........

If that's the same picture I think it is, Leanne posted it and came to the thread stating she couldn't remember exactly, but thought it was a 1B or any other large drop flower tip.

that is certainly a mini cc. Pushing the topper down on the rosette is imperative to get the same look.

others came with more suggestions, but the closest I could ever get was with an unmarked tip from Lakeland 7 pc set available in the UK, or in the states thru Fox Run. and a stiff bc (chilly MBC). Tip opening looks like Red Hot Chili Peppers logo.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 20

Most people can do that with a 1M. But others like using a 2D. Also, the consistency of your buttercream plays a role. Needs to be silky smooth or it won't look that ruffly.

http://www.glorioustreats.com/2011/08/cupcake-basics-how-to-frost-cupcakes.html

http://ourbestbites.com/2012/05/how-to-frost-cupcakes/

imagenthatnj Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 20

8 years ago, I bought this set of tips. Have never used them. I'm sure they make pretty ruffles somehow.

http://www.pastrychef.com/PME-SUPATUBE-FRILL-TIP-SET_p_1034.html

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 20

i don't think it's a 1m swirl, it looks like 2 layer, then the flower,  it looks like the rose tip folder over thinking to the left and over to and meet together. let us know what you used 

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 20

if you talking about the flower on the top it's a fondant flower like the rose with less petals and most likely doesn't have a cone in the middle just pinched together. check out you tube with fondant flowers with that many petals almost looks like a daisy kind of or pansi 

imagenthatnj Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 20
imagenthatnj Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 20

I also know and agree with Rfisher about the Lakeland set that I think it's only sold in the UK and that shows up in this blog post.

http://kerrycooks.com/frosting-cupcakes-tutorial/

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:05pm
post #15 of 20

The original post was from 2013. 

imagenthatnj Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:09pm
post #16 of 20

lol denetteb...thank you. How crazy that we all start adding to it once a person answers an old post, without reading dates. I was wondering where she was!!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 1:55am
post #17 of 20

It is easy to add on once someone resurrects an old post.  I happened to notice it for some reason.

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 2:13am
post #18 of 20

1M open star tip.  Instead of a classic rosette that ends in a single round, the tail is brought to the top and usually topped by making a star.  The top of the icing on this cupcake is covered with a what looks like marzipan rose.

2D closed star tip will give a similar effect, but the ruffled edges will be closer together.

i use both of these tips all the time.  The 1M is my favorite.

you can see the difference between 1M & 2D here

http://www.glorioustreats.com/2011/08/cupcake-basics-how-to-frost-cupcakes.html

ummjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ummjade Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 4:39am
post #19 of 20

<<<<EEEKKK It was me! I resurrected it. Sorry I didn't notice the date.

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 11:50am
post #20 of 20

Haha ummjase, no problem. It took me back to a few years ago when i bought many of those 2D and giant tips for all my friends  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%