Help!!! Smbc A Big... Flop

Decorating By auntginn Updated 2 May 2013 , 5:55pm by auntginn

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 2 May 2013 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

Made SMBC for the 1st time.  Love...... the taste.  I could tell it was just too soft from the beginning.  Let it set up overnight.  Removed from fridge and it curdled.  Tried to whip it up per directions but does nothing.

Is there any saving this mess or should I just toss it and start over.  icon_sad.gif

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 6

Put it over an open burner, until it starts melting down the sides. And I mean, put the bowl from your mixer over the flame. While you have it there heating and getting blazing hot, whip it around with a spatula a bit. Immediately put back on mixer, and mix on high with your paddle. Keep doing that little song and dance for awhile until you get it just right.

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 6

Should have asked this first, but was the buttercream very cold up to the point when you decided it was ruined?

auntginn Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 6

When I removed it from the refrigerator it was rock hard like butter.  The directions said to allow to sit for an hour bringing it to room temp.  I did that, then started to mix it together and it began to curdle.  The directions state if this happens to mix again which I did but got worse.  It is completely soft and I can see oil sitting in the bc (from the butter of course)  Should I chill it again?

Thanks for your help.

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 6

Huh. Well if it's completely soft and room temp, whip it again, and if it still doesn't come together, then something ain't right.

auntginn Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 6

I've got it setting up a little again because it seems like maybe its too warm, butter seems almost melting. Hoping if I chill it abit it will help to bring it back together.

This is the recipe I used.  What do you think?

http://cakecentral.com/a/basic-vanilla-swiss-meringue-buttercream

I would like to learn this one because I did like the taste, I don't know why I've waited so long to try it lol.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%