Sick Of Fondant Cracking..want To Cry.

Decorating By Hannahscakes Updated 23 Mar 2014 , 6:49pm by DnDPastry

Hannahscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hannahscakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 33

AOkay so I use Wilton's fondant and it seems like every time I cover a cake it cracks,creases, or tears. I always cover up my mistakes with icing or decorations but I just want a smooth cake! That's the point of fondant, right? I keep my house at 68-70 while decorating. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but every time I almost cry lol. Help..

32 replies
ecb8r2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecb8r2 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 33

I always had that problem too, no matter how fast I worked with it, it would still crack. So I started making my own marshmallow fondant. I never have that problem anymore. Plus it's cheaper to make and it tastes good.

Hannahscakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 33

AWould you be willing to share your recipe for it? I have heard making your own always turns out too soft or cracks so I was hesitant to try it!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 33

How are you rolling it out?  On powdered sugar or very lightly greased surface?

sugar will make it dry - thus causing cracking.

If it is tearing you are rolling it too thin/

If it is creasing you are not handling it properly - not working fast enough to smooth it out.

ecb8r2 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 33

A bag of mini marshmallow, 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave and stir every 30 seconds until smooth. I prefer to color the fondant at this point (if you just need one color) because it's easier to mix in. Then I sift in my powdered sugar one cup at a time. I literally cut it in with a butter knife until it starts to come away from the sided of the bowl. Then I start working in more powdered sugar with my hands until it is sticky to the touch but won't leave any stickiness behind on your hands (if that makes sense). Then I stick it in a ziplock for about an hour or longer (I actually usually make all my fondant the day before so I have more time to decorate and not mix stuff) Right before working with it I microwave it for about 15-20 second and then knead it until smooth again.

I also always dust the table with powdered sugar instead of corn starch. I think corn starch dries things out faster too.

Hannahscakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 33

AOkay thank you!! How much powdered sugar would I use total?

ecb8r2 Posted 1 May 2013 , 12:17am
post #7 of 33

I buy a two pound bag and usually use about 3/4 of the bag in the end...sometimes more depending on the humidity in your area.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:16am
post #8 of 33

I tried making my on fondant before, with no success..bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles..but, this looks so simple and easy that I'm going to try it again...wish me luck thumbs_up.gif

Hannahscakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:42am
post #9 of 33

AGood luck! I'm going to attempt it also.

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 1 May 2013 , 2:44am
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecb8r2 

A bag of mini marshmallow, 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave and stir every 30 seconds until smooth. I prefer to color the fondant at this point (if you just need one color) because it's easier to mix in. Then I sift in my powdered sugar one cup at a time. I literally cut it in with a butter knife until it starts to come away from the sided of the bowl. Then I start working in more powdered sugar with my hands until it is sticky to the touch but won't leave any stickiness behind on your hands (if that makes sense). Then I stick it in a ziplock for about an hour or longer (I actually usually make all my fondant the day before so I have more time to decorate and not mix stuff) Right before working with it I microwave it for about 15-20 second and then knead it until smooth again.

I also always dust the table with powdered sugar instead of corn starch. I think corn starch dries things out faster too.

This is pretty much what I do as well..but I also grease the bowl that I am melting the marshmallows in, as well as greasing the countertop I am kneeding it on and coat my hands really well all the way past my wrists.  I also color and flavor before I add the powdered sugar.  I add more coloring as needed while I am adding more powdered sugar.  I have done this from the very first time I made homemade MMF and have never had a problem with it at all...simple as can be!

Hannahscakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 33

APerfect.. I am really hoping it works for me!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 May 2013 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 33

I mix Wilton with the Duff (FondX) fondant and it works great.  People love the taste and the texture isn't dry and gross.

Hannahscakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 33

AI have wanted to try the Duff kind but I feel like its so expensive for such a small amount of fondant!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 May 2013 , 3:55pm
post #14 of 33

AWe use exclusively Satin Ice, it works pretty well and isn't too expensive.

Hannahscakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 3:56pm
post #15 of 33

AWhere can I get Satin Ice?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 May 2013 , 4:00pm
post #16 of 33

A

Original message sent by Hannahscakes

Where can I get Satin Ice?

We buy it online, the thread linked below should help. 20# tubs are usually ~$50 + shipping.

http://cakecentral.com/t/667462/where-is-the-cheapest-place-to-buy-satin-ice-fondant

Hannahscakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 5:59pm
post #17 of 33

AGreat!

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 3 May 2013 , 1:34am
post #18 of 33

I also use Satin Ice, it is very easy to work with.  I have to order mine online, since we don't have a local cake suppy store that carries it.  I do use wilton for modling, it works well for that, but that's all I use it for.

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 3 May 2013 , 3:20am
post #19 of 33

try adding just a small dab of shortening to the fondant then knead it in.  It adds a bit of moisture without overdoing it.  you can add more or less depending on how dry your fondant is.  (This is really good for when you've rolled the same color over and over again)  The shortening just brings it back to life and helps keep it kinda stretchy so it doesn't crack as much.  Good luck

Hannahscakes Posted 3 May 2013 , 3:21am
post #20 of 33

ATonight I used Duff and it worked great for covering a cake but is WAY too expensive. Double what the Wilton is. I agree Wilton is great for molding because it hardens quickly but not covering cakes in my opinion. I am very excited to try the Satin Ice.

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 3 May 2013 , 3:58am
post #21 of 33

Hi!  First, Wilton fondant is awful.  It tastes and smells like plastic.

I think one thing everyone does that I think is wrong is use cornstarch with fondant.  It dries it out and causes cracks.  Use powered sugar.

Global sugar art is a great place to find fondant as well as other suppliers.  I personally really like Fondx.  I've always had great luck with it.

I've tried the homemade fondant without alot of success.  I liked the flavor, but getting the consistency right everytime is a crap shoot.

I hope you find what you need.  Good luck!

Lori

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 3 May 2013 , 4:00am
post #22 of 33

I have to use the Wilton fondant for a class that I'm taking...I'm NOT looking forward to it...using the Wilton fondant, I mean. I am looking forward to the class.

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 3 May 2013 , 12:39pm
post #23 of 33

A

Original message sent by ecb8r2

A bag of mini marshmallow, 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave and stir every 30 seconds until smooth. I prefer to color the fondant at this point (if you just need one color) because it's easier to mix in. Then I sift in my powdered sugar one cup at a time. I literally cut it in with a butter knife until it starts to come away from the sided of the bowl. Then I start working in more powdered sugar with my hands until it is sticky to the touch but won't leave any stickiness behind on your hands (if that makes sense). Then I stick it in a ziplock for about an hour or longer (I actually usually make all my fondant the day before so I have more time to decorate and not mix stuff) Right before working with it I microwave it for about 15-20 second and then knead it until smooth again. I also always dust the table with powdered sugar instead of corn starch. I think corn starch dries things out faster too.

I'm so glad I read this post! Thanks for the good info. I bought several bags of mm the other day so I could have a "play day" with it today. I have a question (or so!) though, since the MMF needs to be microwaved before being rolled out does that mean it will harden some after being put on the cake? Or will it remain pliable and easy to chew? I have never had MMF before....I may be able to answer my own question after I make the first batch.

What about using shortening to slather on the table? I always use that when rolling out the Wilton fondant (I even add some into if it seems really dry). I only use corn starch when cutting out decorations, and have always been under the impression that powder sugar shouldn't be used for either task.

Thanks in advance! I'm just trying to get as much info together prior to attempting MMF so I don't feel overwhelmed if/when I run into trouble. I live in Jax Fl and it has been raining for days....will that effect the outcome? I know humidity does but it's less humid than normal, which is equally strange. I expect to see Noah's Ark in the next day or so if this keeps up!! Lol

Love this site!! -Nicole

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 3 May 2013 , 1:03pm
post #24 of 33

Awww.globalsugarart.com/search.php?q=satin+ice+fondant

TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 3 May 2013 , 1:10pm
post #25 of 33

AFondarific is gnarly stretchy...and pretty delish! Bought some at the last ICES and wished I had bought more....

AuntieMae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieMae Posted 3 May 2013 , 1:19pm
post #26 of 33

The Duff brand is good, but I find it to be a bit too soft sometimes making it a little difficult to work with.  I use Satin Ice Fondant, was thinking about trying some of that fondorific stuff.  I like the satin ice though, so nice to work with and I don't hardly have to use gumpaste or tylose powder for my decor anymore. You can order it online from Cakesupplies4U.com.

jstamoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstamoore Posted 3 May 2013 , 1:56pm
post #27 of 33

I use MMF too and love it.  I didn't see where the size of bag of mini marshmallows is listed and could make a huge difference in the outcome.  They come in 2 sizes.

I use the 16 oz size with this recipe. 

Hannahscakes Posted 3 May 2013 , 2:13pm
post #28 of 33

AI feel like there are so many different options and everyone has their own favorite.. I can appreciate that. Sounds like we all despise Wilton fondant that's for sure. Maybe I need to learn to smooth my icing better so I'm not always relying on fondant..that's a whole separate battle though ;)

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 3 May 2013 , 4:31pm
post #29 of 33

I really like Satin Ice fondant (very tasty, too), but it's expensive at our local cake decorating store, and to buy it online (less expensive, but then there's shipping), doesn't help if I need it quickly (just a hobby decorator, so don't buy on a regular basis), so I started making my own MMF.  I have only tried this recipe, but I like it so much I haven't tried any others.

http://artisancakecompany.com/2012/11/the-best-marshmallow-fondant-recipe-ever/

It uses Wilton fondant as one of the ingredients, so that adds a bit more cost, but I buy it at Michaels with the coupon of the day, so it's quite reasonable.

It makes a good amount, is a dream to work with, stores beautifully, and is great for modeling as it hardens nicely.

The only downside is the flavour is kind of blah, so I replace some of the water with clear vanilla flavouring, which helps.

icon_smile.gif

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 3 May 2013 , 4:46pm
post #30 of 33

AGreat information

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%