Cake With No Filling

Decorating By dreyna16 Updated 2 May 2013 , 10:13pm by hbquikcomjamesl

dreyna16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreyna16 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked to make a cake for 50 ppl and I was planning to use two pans of 6 and 10, 2 in each to make it a 2 tier cake of around 4 in each, however, the client does not want any filling.  What would u suggest?  does it look okay to use two pans of the same size with no filling?  I would like each tier to have some height and I do not have 3 in pans so I can make just one of each. Any ideas pls??? 

8 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 9

You obviously are going to have to use icing somewhere (like the outside), so would your client be ok with using that same icing as a filling, rather than another type of cream or fruit based filling?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 9

Oh cake muggles. Tell her it needs butter cream in the middle. Just don't call it a "filling". icon_rolleyes.gif

Morrisa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Morrisa2 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 9

If they want a stacked cake, you need to put something in the middle to make a decent sized tier. Otherwise it would look like a deflated cake.  Would they be okay with a sheet cake?  You could put 2 squares side by side if they don't want filling. Who doesn't want filling??  Cost wise?

dreyna16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreyna16 Posted 2 May 2013 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 9

The cake is for a friend of a friend so I haven't really talked to the client but she only told me that she does not like filling.  I will try to use 3 in pans and use a parchment collar to make them look taller.  Lets see how it goes.  I do not have sheet pans and do not want to expend extra money purchasing one now since I only bake on my spare time.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 9

AI have had many, many, MANY customers tell me they don't want filling. What they mean is they don't want a fruit/custard/etc filling. When I explain that ALL layered cakes ,anything other than a flat single layered sheet cake, have at least buttercreme in the middle as "glue"between the layers, they ALL say "oh, yeah, that's what I meant. Just buttercreme." Seriously. Don't try to stack a tiered cake just layer after layer of cake. Explain to this person. Unless they are completely clueless and really do want a bland plain, completely naked, unfrosted and undecorated cake.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG 

I have had many, many, MANY customers tell me they don't want filling.
What they mean is they don't want a fruit/custard/etc filling.
When I explain that ALL layered cakes ,anything other than a flat single layered sheet cake, have at least buttercreme in the middle as "glue"between the layers, they ALL say "oh, yeah, that's what I meant. Just buttercreme."
Seriously.
Don't try to stack a tiered cake just layer after layer of cake.
Explain to this person. Unless they are completely clueless and really do want a bland plain, completely naked, unfrosted and undecorated cake.

Exactly.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 9

Call the client and ask her exactly what she means by "no filling". 

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 2 May 2013 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 9

And if they do want a completely naked cake, I'd suggest a pound cake baked in a Bundt mold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%