Sps Stuck In Cake. Help!

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 7 May 2013 , 8:55pm by grahamc

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 9

I use SPS for my wedding cakes and I had a meeting with the venue yesterday. The chef said that when they went to disassemble the cake for serving, they couldn't get the SPS system out of the cake. It was "suctioned" into it. They ended up having to flip the tier over, pull the cardboard off the base, and serve upside down!

Have you had this happen? Have you heard of this? If so, is there a way to prevent it. I would love any insight you can provide. Sadly they tried EVERYTHING. But they couldn't hold the cake down in order to pull the plate out. The whole cake would just come up with it. That's why they flipped it over. It was "IN" there! 

I know what they are referring to though. I had to take a cake apart and re-ice a tier once. I couldn't get the dang thing out. I tried EVERYTHING. You should have seen the mess I made. By the time I was done and had gotten the plates out, I had completely mutilated the cake.

It scared the snot out of me cause I kept thinking that if this is what my customers go through.... eek! But nobody complained... until yesterday. And I knew EXACTLY what they were talking about. From experience I know they did everything right. It just wouldn't come out. 

So the only two options were to flip it over (like they did) or once they got their hand under the plate, to put their hand on the top of the cake and press down while someone pulled up on the plate (which completely compromises the cake for serving). 

I know I can't be the only one that has had this happen. They did say every other time, they just stick the spatula under, loosen it up, and slide it right out... They'd never had a problem. But if you lose 30 or more servings for one wedding cause you can't get the plate out of the tier... well... they aren't gonna let that one go. 

Thanks in advance!

8 replies
ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 9

Did you put it on a cardboard base? I always have a cardboard under the cake and then you can lift the cake up with the cardboard and then the SPS sytem is seen. I have never had a problem.

CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 9

They are always on a cardboard base. It's not that I couldn't get the cake OFF of the plate. I couldn't get the plate & legs OUT of the cake. And you can't cut a cake through a plastic disc. It has to come out. 

CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 9

I am contemplating spraying the legs and the underside of the plate with butter flavored cooking spray. Hoping it will help "lubricate" it so that it slides out more easily.... ????

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 9

AI know exactly what you mean. I've never had the plate stuk, but I've had the legs stuck. That solution is easy...cut around the legs till you can pull them. Not sure what to do about the plate being stuck to the legs so tight.

CakeInfatuation Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 9

anyone else??? I'm putting a "BUMP" on this because I can't believe that this has only ever happened 2x's. 

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 2 May 2013 , 4:34am
post #7 of 9

try putting a layer of plastic wrap ontop of your buttercream before putting the plate down.  then you can lift off easier.  or cut a small piece of cardboard and do the same thing.  mgiht help with the "suction cup" effect.  best of luck next time!!!  (to get really stuck legs out of the cake, i use a small pair of pliers and just pull) :)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 May 2013 , 7:35am
post #8 of 9

A

Original message sent by CakeInfatuation

anyone else??? I'm putting a "BUMP" on this because I can't believe that this has only ever happened 2x's. 

I think it really must be a truly rare occurrence. I've probably used SPS as much as anyone here and it never happened to me.

grahamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grahamc Posted 7 May 2013 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 9

I think it has to do more with what you use to ice and fill your cake with.  The only time it happened to me was when I had iced and filled the cake with ganache.  It firmed up fairly stiff and woudn't release the legs and plate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%