How So I Store Different Fondant Decorations

Decorating By Milliamo Updated 26 Apr 2013 , 1:08pm by meriem

Milliamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Milliamo Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:11am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I'm new to this, so forgive me if these are really basic questions!  

I am making a chocolate sandwich cake and some high heel & handbag cupcakes for a friend's hen do (thankfully at the end of June so I have time to plan!).

I am going to cover the cake in fondant and put on a fondant peony rose and 'L' Plate and then I was planning on making handcuffs and chain to go around the cake out of modelling chocolate - is this  a good idea or should I do it out of fondant?

For the handbag cupcakes I am planning to cover them with modelling chocolate - can I make them a couple of days before?  And as its modelling chocolate, should I store them in the fridge?  The high heel cupcakes will have some fondant bows on.

How far in advance can I bake the cake and cupcakes and how best to store them?  

How early can I decorate everything?

I want the fondant flower to be hard, but the 'L' Plate and bows to be soft and edible - how far in advance can I make them, and how best to store them?

All help and advice is very much appreciated!

Milliamo

3 replies
meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 4

hello milliamo,

ill try to answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliamo 

Hi,

I'm new to this, so forgive me if these are really basic questions!  

I am making a chocolate sandwich cake and some high heel & handbag cupcakes for a friend's hen do (thankfully at the end of June so I have time to plan!).

I am going to cover the cake in fondant and put on a fondant peony rose and 'L' Plate and then I was planning on making handcuffs and chain to go around the cake out of modelling chocolate - is this  a good idea or should I do it out of fondant?

modelling chocolate will be fine, its holds its shape really well and will be super yummy!

For the handbag cupcakes I am planning to cover them with modelling chocolate - can I make them a couple of days before?  And as its modelling chocolate, should I store them in the fridge?  The high heel cupcakes will have some fondant bows on.

I make cupcakes up to two days before delivery, if its a large number. For example if they are due on saturday, i will bake on thursday evening, store them in an airtight container overnight, then decorate the next day. After decoration I place them in the cardboard box that they will be delivered in and cling film it to keep the air out so they stay fresh. I personally don't refrigerate cake as i find it dries out- unless it has perishable fillings. However others have found that refrigeration works for them, so you will need to experiment on what works for you.

modelling chocolate can be stored at room temp no need for the fridge

How far in advance can I bake the cake and cupcakes and how best to store them?

If you want to bake them weeks in advance you can freeze them, i have never done this so can't comment on how it works, maybe you can do some trials or someone else will chip in that has.

How early can I decorate everything?

I always decorate the night before. Cupcakes tend to dry out faster than cakes because they are so small so you need to be careful to avoid this.

I want the fondant flower to be hard, but the 'L' Plate and bows to be soft and edible - how far in advance can I make them, and how best to store them?

I would advise you to make the flower out of gumpaste or at least tylose/CMC treated fondant so it can hold its shape. fondant will not hold. you can make it months in advance and store it in a cardboard box. The plate and bows I will make before i start baking so its all ready, maybe the 3-4 days before? 

All help and advice is very much appreciated!

Milliamo

hope this helped :)

Milliamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Milliamo Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 4

That's amazing thanks so much for your help!

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 4

AYour welcome :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%