Neeeed Advice!!!

Decorating By odessarae Updated 21 Apr 2013 , 12:04am by odessarae

odessarae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odessarae Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 3:52am
post #1 of 14

AI'm new at selling cakes .I mostly due novelty cakes and birthday cakes.i recently received a bridal shower cake order due Friday. I want to make her flowers which are gerber daisies and roses how do I make them look real?

13 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 4:09am
post #2 of 14

ten thousand hours!

odessarae Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 4:14am
post #3 of 14

AHa! ;)

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 11:49am
post #4 of 14

AYou accepted an order that you don't know how to execute? Gumpaste flowers take a lot of time; especially if you've never made them before. You put yourself in a tough spot since you don't have time to practice. I'm definitely not trying to discourage you. It can be done but you need to get started right away. Google "gumpaste [insert flower type here] tutorial" and get busy! :)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 14

AThere is a thread on Cake Central with lots of flower tutorials. Search "gerber daisy" & it should show link for you.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 14

AAlso, your local michaels, AC Moore, Eric. Will sell the Wilton flower set with book of instructions. I has 2 sizes of daisy & a rose cutter. You will also need to purchase a forming mat (purple or pink), and fondant tool set. Open the flower set & read the directions to see I you need anything else before leavin the store.

mariets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariets Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 14

I've been researching flowers cutters and the PME Veined Sunflower Daisy Gerbera cutters get excellent reviews.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 14

AHeres the pme cutter set.

www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=6215&trng=fgle&gclid=CMD0qreo2bYCFao7MgodHm0Alg#.UXKTPL0o7Fo

I believe this is the set that DeliciousDesserts is suggesting that you get. Its expensive but you can always use a coupon that Michaels, hobby lobby or joann fabrics has.

m.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2109-0054

odessarae Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 14

AI[quote name="manddi" url="/t/757232/neeeed-advice#post_7385356"]You accepted an order that you don't know how to execute? Gumpaste flowers take a lot of time; especially if you've never made them before. You put yourself in a tough spot since you don't have time to practice. I'm definitely not trying to discourage you. It can be done but you need to get started right away. Google "gumpaste [insert flower type here] tutorial" and get busy! :)

odessarae Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 14

AI have made gum paste flowers before but they were not as realistic as I would like :) I guess I worded it wrong .just was wandering any tips on how to make them more realistic or tutorials you found the most helpful.thank for your replies

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 14

A

Original message sent by odessarae

I have made gum paste flowers before but they were not as realistic as I would like :) I guess I worded it wrong .just was wandering any tips on how to make them more realistic or tutorials you found the most helpful.thank for your replies

Oh good! I was nervous for you! :)

To answer your question: petal dusts

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 14

Am.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3ZqSIPhcFaE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3ZqSIPhcFaE

And here's a pretty rose to learn how to make

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=74wBqahH2yc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D74wBqahH2yc

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 14
There's so many tutorials available, but here's two I really like for roses...

On YouTube:

(It's in 2 parts)

...and another at a site called CakestyleTV...
Once you register, you can watch the Rose video tutorial for FREE...

odessarae Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 12:04am
post #14 of 14

AThank you all!:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%