I Think I'm Gonna Be Sick...

Decorating By theonlynameleft Updated 25 Mar 2014 , 1:56am by howsweet

LMC44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LMC44 Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 4:20pm
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyzan 

Instead of a refund, you could offer a free anniversary cake with red roses.

Ooh, I like this idea!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 7:59pm
post #32 of 51

Quite honestly, if no mention was made in the correspondence or the contract of RED roses, then you have nothing to apologise for. The picture the bride sent you was of pink roses, you delivered pink roses. If on the other hand she specifically told you, that she wanted red roses instead of pink, then you can apologise. Go and look through your correspondence and your contract. She must have read and signed off on the contract

RedInLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedInLove Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 8:51pm
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40 

Quite honestly, if no mention was made in the correspondence or the contract of RED roses, then you have nothing to apologise for. The picture the bride sent you was of pink roses, you delivered pink roses. If on the other hand she specifically told you, that she wanted red roses instead of pink, then you can apologise. Go and look through your correspondence and your contract. She must have read and signed off on the contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlynameleft 

I overhead the caterings saying "I think those roses are supposed to be red".  The bride sent me a pic of the cake she wanted and it had pink roses - we had a lot of correspondence so I went back through everything and sure enough, there was mention of the roses being changed to red which I didn't pick up on.

OP indicated that the correspondence did have one mention of the roses being changed to red.

I think I agree with the others. I'm also thinking you haven't heard from the bride because she's on her honeymoon. I think having a refund in the works, whether already credited to her payment method or a check already prepared for her. I also like the idea of a 1-year anniversary cake being provided gratis, perhaps you could do a combination of both.

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 11:12pm
post #34 of 51

Hi there all, sorry must clarify, when I posted that I hadn't heard back yet, I had already at that stage sent an email giving my profuse apologies for the error and letting her know that I take it very seriously etc and want her to be happy with the outcome and that I would offer her a reimbursement.

I wasn't specific about an amount and thought that way it would kind of put the ball in their court as to what they felt they were owed, or what was reasonable.

It was a funny one really, the whole mess was a bit of a breakdown in communication and I need to brush up on my processes!  I just make cakes as a hobby, here and there somebody will ask me to make them a wedding cake or whatever but I am not a business so probably don't have all the kinks ironed out as would somebody who is doing it professionally.

In January we began correspondence, during this time the mention of the red flowers was made.  In February, as it was getting closer to the big day I asked her to confirm the cake design.  She sent me the picture of the cake with pink flowers and said "this except could it please be made square".  I said that wasn't a problem and that was what I made.

I should have gone back through our previous correspondence and picked up on the flower mention - and then confirmed with her as it wasn't indicated in her subsequent email regarding the design.  We live & learn!

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 9:13am
post #35 of 51

party.gif  UPDATE:

Just got this email from the bride:

"The cake was fantastic, you did an amazing job.  You did what I asked, the caterers may have gotten confused as I just wanted the cake like the picture and you did that.  Everyone loved the cake and we still have some left for me to snack on.  YUMMY!  Thanks so much for everything".

Oh my gosh, I feel like I can breathe again, I was honestly so upset.  So, what she sent in the second email was correct - either that or she went through her emails, found that and realised that she hadn't stated red roses in that email - I don't know, either way.... so pleased that she loved the cake.

Still majorly peeved at the caterers though, not a problem if they had concerns about the colour of the roses, but to actually stand there, as they did, and diss the execution of the cake in general was pretty hurtful - "hello karma, are you listening"!?!?!?

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 9:18am
post #36 of 51

AYay! I'm so glad it worked out for you! Thank God for easy going brides!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 10:46am
post #37 of 51

AWhew!! So glad for you!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 11:43am
post #38 of 51

You should have told the caterers, no, I think those roses are supposed to be pink...

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:12pm
post #39 of 51

AGlad it all worked out.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:58pm
post #40 of 51

AOh thank goodness!!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:50pm
post #41 of 51

ASo happy for you! ! I bet you'll sleep well tonight! :)

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 3:32am
post #42 of 51

AGlad she liked it, and everything worked out well!

DnDPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnDPastry Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 7:11pm
post #43 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonlynameleft 

I just delivered a wedding cake to the venue & I go inside and everything is black and red.... hmmmm, the roses on my cake are pink....

I overhead the caterings saying "I think those roses are supposed to be red".  The bride sent me a pic of the cake she wanted and it had pink roses - we had a lot of correspondence so I went back through everything and sure enough, there was mention of the roses being changed to red which I didn't pick up on.

I have just gotten home and honestly am on the verge of tears and feel like I wanna be sick.  The wedding is at the same place where the wedding is so I can't try to quickly make some red roses and put them on as the wedding starts in half an hour.

What should I do, how much should I refund them?  Or a discount on their next cake.... what should I do?!?!?!

I am so upset and I feel like I have let her down so badly!!!

*Photo removed per member's request.

Hi 'theonlynameleft'-

I know it's a bit late but I thought to offer some advice about your roses mishap:

I always have my client approve a written invoice for their order. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something in writing that records all of the details for the order (the cake size, shape, filling(s) , inscription, decor details and yes, colors). This way, you have a record of what you need to do and also another pair of eyes have looked over the order. If you had written "cake with pink roses" on the order, the bride would have seen it and corrected it before giving her approval. If she didn't (correct it before approval), you would have no reason to stress out because you could have referred to the 'approved' order that called for pink roses and explain that it had her confirmation. I'm not encouraging anyone to not take responsibility for their actions and of course, a discount or refund was definitely in order; I just thought that it may help in the future.

I do this with all of my clients, mainly through emails, and there have been a few instances where the customer brought a typo or other oversight to my attention! Believe me; when someone is paying hundreds of dollars for a cake, they will definitely review the order with attention before offering their approval :)

Your experience was a tough one, I hope you've recovered from what I'm sure was a very stressful situation! Hope this helped a bit!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 9:03pm
post #44 of 51

AI'm glad that it worked out for you! I hate caterers who have something rude to say...i once had one look at a groom's cake and tell me "i think they expected it to be bigger than that." I replied "well, this is what they paid for, you just set up a table that's too big for it." and they shut up.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 9:24am
post #45 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I'm glad that it worked out for you! I hate caterers who have something rude to say...i once had one look at a groom's cake and tell me "i think they expected it to be bigger than that." I replied "well, this is what they paid for, you just set up a table that's too big for it." and they shut up.

Hahaha nice comeback

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 8:25pm
post #46 of 51

Quote:

I'm glad that it worked out for you! I hate caterers who have something rude to say...i once had one look at a groom's cake and tell me "i think they expected it to be bigger than that." I replied "well, this is what they paid for, you just set up a table that's too big for it." and they shut up.

Nice!

We had a photographer make a similar remark about a groom's cake once, kind of a "that's it??" comment, my husband just said "Yup, that's what they ordered!" Thankfully the bride was standing close by, saw it, and said "I love it!" so that hopefully shut him up pretty well!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 11:09pm
post #47 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 

Nice!

We had a photographer make a similar remark about a groom's cake once, kind of a "that's it??" comment, my husband just said "Yup, that's what they ordered!" Thankfully the bride was standing close by, saw it, and said "I love it!" so that hopefully shut him up pretty well!

I had a caterer tell the bride that I was upset with her when I dropped off the cake. I have no idea where that came from. We then heard that the bride was upset that we were upset. it was cleared up in a quick phone call, thank goodness, but you gotta wonder why people get involved with something completely unrelated to them. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 11:33pm
post #48 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I had a caterer tell the bride that I was upset with her when I dropped off the cake. I have no idea where that came from. We then heard that the bride was upset that we were upset. it was cleared up in a quick phone call, thank goodness, but you gotta wonder why people get involved with something completely unrelated to them.

There's a wedding planner here who creates problems that she then solves, so it looks like she's just saved the day. I don't know why the brides don't figure it out, but every vendor knows that when she's working the wedding something stupid will happen and she'll "fix" it even though she was the one who created it. For example, she would tell the bride that you were upset with them, then let the bride get upset, then say that she'll call you to straighten it out. She then calls you and you say you're not upset, so she runs back to the bride and says that she spoke to you and everything is fine. Voila, the bride thinks she's a miracle worker and you look bad!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 11:41pm
post #49 of 51

Ohhh...that's a nasty thing to do.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 11:45pm
post #50 of 51

Quote:

There's a wedding planner here who creates problems that she then solves, so it looks like she's just saved the day. I don't know why the brides don't figure it out, but every vendor knows that when she's working the wedding something stupid will happen and she'll "fix" it even though she was the one who created it. For example, she would tell the bride that you were upset with them, then let the bride get upset, then say that she'll call you to straighten it out. She then calls you and you say you're not upset, so she runs back to the bride and says that she spoke to you and everything is fine. Voila, the bride thinks she's a miracle worker and you look bad!

That's horrid!! :eek:

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 1:56am
post #51 of 51

So glad this turned out so well!!

Quote:

Just when I think I've heard everything....  Can you imagine having this person in your life as a friend or what if she as your mother? Omg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%