How Much Would You Charge For A Wedding Cake?

Business By absolutelysweet Updated 29 May 2013 , 10:36pm by absolutelysweet

absolutelysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutelysweet Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 16

AHi do you think £150 is enough for this wedding cake?[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2981506/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 16

Wellllll, it's going to depend on how big you make it.  FRom the picture I'd say the tiers are 6, 8 and 10 - each 4" tall.  I don't know how many servings that will give you as you are not in the U.S. and use a different cutting chart/& size of servings. 

Determine how many servings there are & multiply that by something like $3 (American dollars-then convert to your currency) per serving.  I'm sure eventually someone from your country will jump in w/some help but hope that helps you a bit for now.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 16

No, not even close to an acceptable price for that cake.

Are you planning to make it, or do you want someone to make it for you?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 16

AThat cake will probably cost in the £2-5/serving range. The price you quoted (US$230) is on the low side.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 1:21am
post #5 of 16

Doing a quick flip around the UK decorators ...£150 is too low .. contact your local cake decorating guild for more assistance ..

Generally speaking, and depending upon location:

Three tier 6", 8", 10" rounds victoria sponge with simple decoration

-> £235 to £300

-> £220 to £245

-> £340 - £360

-> from £350

-> from £395

absolutelysweet Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 16

AI have made this cake already it have three diffrent sponges. Chocolate with white chocolate, vanilla sponge with Nutella cream and te large one vanilla with caramel cream. I am a bit funny with pricing I alway charge to little I neve know how to price te cakes up x

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:07am
post #7 of 16

Try doing a search on how to price cakes on here, there are about 56 million threads on it. 

You need to work out what your costs are, how much you want to pay yourself hourly, and then what the price should be in order to be in line with your local market. When you price yourself significantly under the local price, you not only hurt other bakers in your area, but you teach your customers that your product is cheap, and that you don't deserve to be paid a fair price for it. 

absolutelysweet Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 7:50am
post #8 of 16

AThanks for the information. The reason for the price I think is because I have only been decorating for 3 years and I am self taught. X

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 8:54am
post #9 of 16

No, even if you DOUBLE that price it's not enough.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 9:43am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutelysweet 

Thanks for the information. The reason for the price I think is because I have only been decorating for 3 years and I am self taught. X

If you don't think something is good enough to sell then don't sell it. 

I think your cake is pretty and well able to be sold. If you agree, then you should charge for it. Wheather you paid for lessons or payed for ingredients, books, etc to practice yourself is not relevant. If you only charge a token amount then you will make a loss (so effectively giving your customers your money you earned somewhere else) and as kikiandkyle said also mis-educating your customers, undercutting your competitors, etc.

Beckey Barton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckey Barton Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 10:32am
post #11 of 16

I totally agree with everyone's comments - definitely under priced. It's beautiful! I have been doing some research at wedding fairs this year (I am UK too!), and cakes like this have been going for around £400. I am struggling to price mine too. I asked my tutor at college to value mine for me, and I have recently had an enquiry about a wedding cake. I asked my tutor how much to charge, based on the request, and he said that 3 tiers start at £400 - he's been in the business since 1967!

Hope that helps!

kikiandkyle Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:07pm
post #12 of 16

It doesn't matter how long you've been decorating or who taught you - if the cake is good enough to sell then you should charge a fair price for it! Try looking at the websites of some of your local bakeries and go from there, but be sure to make sure you are covering your expenses and time with that amount too. Otherwise you are paying for other people's cakes out of your own pocket.

absolutelysweet Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 10:30pm
post #13 of 16

AThank you I will have a look at the other threads and hopefully help me price them. I have my own buisness and really busy but I think it's because I am reasonably priced, I have checked a cake place around 15 mile from me and they are double the price I charge I don't think I could sleep at night charging that much and it's not a wedding cake. X

kikiandkyle Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 12:10am
post #14 of 16

AYou have to forget what you would reasonably pay for a cake, and look at what your target market would reasonably pay for a cake. The fact that they're paying twice as much at the other bakery means there are customers out there who do find it reasonable, and are willing to pay it. Why not make more money for the same amount of effort if you can?

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 6:34am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutelysweet 

Thank you I will have a look at the other threads and hopefully help me price them. I have my own buisness and really busy but I think it's because I am reasonably priced, I have checked a cake place around 15 mile from me and they are double the price I charge I don't think I could sleep at night charging that much and it's not a wedding cake. X

Of course you're busy if you're cheap!  But, it's not turnover that counts, it's profit!!!!

I would rather do 1 cake for £300 than work my fingers to the bone doing 3 cakes for £100 each!!!!!

Someone I know on another cake forum has a fab saying - the person who works for nothing will always have plenty to do!

Look, there's NO WAY I would pay what I charge for a cake!!!  But that doesn't mean a) they're not worth it and b) that there are plenty of other people out there who won't.  Because, believe me...  there are!

absolutelysweet Posted 29 May 2013 , 10:36pm
post #16 of 16

AThank you all for your comments and I have taken on board all of it x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%