Cake Mixes Vs. Scratch

Decorating By montanakate Updated 1 Mar 2005 , 8:53pm by diane

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 12

I feel like I have the silliest questions, but I guess that's what being a beginner is all about.
I have almost exclusively used cake mixes, I would like to try from scratch cakes because of the endless varieties. However my hesitation is taht the from scratch cakes I've tried have been SO dry and dense. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the continued help icon_redface.gif

11 replies
dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 12

I've been making scratch cakes for about 4 years and just recently I've looked at mix cakes. Personally I like scratch cakes. They have that rich homemade flavor that you can't get from a mix.

I found that if the scratch cake has a lot of oil in it, it will be moist. I've received TONS of compliments on a carrot cake and it calls for a 1.25 C of oil. I do notice a slight difference in the type of oil used. Nut oils are the best, but cost the most.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 12:36am
post #3 of 12

Have you tried "The Cake Mix Doctor"? There is also one out for strictly chocolate cakes. The "Bride's Cake" is a really good one to use. That recipe is in "The Cake Mix Doctor". I too have run across the "dry" issue making from scratch. Plus there's also the issue of what size cake pan does one scratch recipe fill. Just experiment and things will work out great.

Amy thumbs_up.gif

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 12

I do both, some recipes are scatch like red velvet and carrot cake. Since I have got the cake mix doctor I love it and you can't tell that it's cake mix. icon_lol.gif

Carriemyvoice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carriemyvoice Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 12

Like many others I do use a box mix and doctor it up to my specifications. They are great and the Cake mix Doctor is a wonderful book. When it comes to cakes like Red Velvet, Carrot, Italian Cream etc... I most definately do scratch. More expensive to make but you can't beat the taste. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 12

where can you get this book? i assume it's a book, right? icon_confused.gif "the cake mix doctor!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 12

Go to http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/ and they have a link to amazon.com.

***Edit note, try click on the link again- the system was putting the comma that I had put in my sentenence in the address field; I took it out so it should work now.

Carriemyvoice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carriemyvoice Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 12

They also have it on Ebay. Just watch out for the shipping costs. icon_biggrin.gif

cakemommy Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 12

.....or if you don't want to wait for shipping, just go to a bookstore and get it. Good luck! Happy baking!!!

Amy

diane Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 12

well, first i tried going to the website and i can't-it says page cannot be displayed. second-since i'm in italy, the only english bookstore is on the base which is very limited. so i guess i'll have to try ebay.

cakemommy Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 12

Well shucks!!!!! Had I read properly under your screen name I would have known. Yeah, try ebay. Good luck and BTW, I love the cakes you have done, especially the going away one you just did for your friends.

Amy

diane Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 12

i finally got to the website. it's great. i think i'm going to buy the book. i'll try amazon.com and ebay. thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%