Great Whoopie Pie Filling??

Baking By kimkake Updated 15 Apr 2013 , 5:11am by BeesKnees578

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make chocolate whoopie pies for my booth at a dance show next weekend....and would like a great filling for them.    I have found a few recipes and tried a couple and they all seem too greasy with a lot of shortening in them....does anyone have a recipe that is more "fluffy" and smooth??   And while I'm at it.....anyone willing to share their delicious whoopie pie recipe?   I have a pretty good one from The Food Network, but always looking for more!!  :)

4 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:21am
post #2 of 5

The Whimsical bake house book by kaye and Liv Hansen has this recipe...It's so smooth and light...I actually have to add more sugar to it to sweeten it but it reminds my of the filling in hostess cupcakes and susie Qs I always use when someone wants vanilla filling in cupcakes  I really like it and I hate buttercream:

House Buttercream:

In bow of electric mixer:

Mix 6 cups of confectioner' sugar

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

With a whisk attachment, add and whip at low speed:

1 cup of boiling water (3/4 cup on hot days)

whip until smooth and cool

Add and whip until smooth:

2 3/4 cups high-ratio or regular vegetable shortening (I use crisco)

6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) slightly chilled butter cut into 1 inch pieces

Increase the speed to med-hi.

Whip until light fluffy and doubled in volume (10-20 minutes)

The buttercream will almost fill 5 quart mixing bowl

Yields 9 1/2 cups

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:41am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for the recipe!  I have heard about this one and wanted to try it but forgot who's recipe it was.    THANK YOU AGAIN!!!  :)

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:56am
post #4 of 5

Your welcome! Oh and it says that you can store it up to 2 weeks in fridge if tightly covered.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 5:11am
post #5 of 5

I use the Heirloom Icing (cooked flour) for my GOBS (PA thing -that's where I grew up- I guess...everyone in Ohio calls them Whoopie Pies and it drives me nuts)!  icon_wink.gif

I didn't know it was called Heirloom Icing until I made it this weekend for a cake and thought the recipe looked familiar...now I am wondering if it can be used under fondant and does it HAVE to be refrigerated?  Because it's so darn good, I would love to use this as my standard icing.  I will ask that in another post.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%