Mandarin Orange Cake

Decorating By khaynes2266 Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 5:02am by khaynes2266

khaynes2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khaynes2266 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 3:27am
post #1 of 7

AI just made a mandarin orange cake using the "Allrecipes" recipe. I used a Duncan Hines orange cake mix; however, the cake doesn't taste orange. This is the first time I've made this and have an order for one Friday. The icing has the orange taste. Anyone that has tasted this flavor of cake......please tell me what type of taste it's suppose to have. I can't ask the purchaser, she's never tasted it and is purchasing it as a surprise gift for someone.

6 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 4:20am
post #2 of 7

AI add orange zest to any orange cake recipe as well as some of Lorann's orange oil extract. Then I make an orange syrup by reducing some orange juice concentrate a bit and then brush the cakes with that before I fill them. HTH

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 4:25am
post #3 of 7

AOh, and regarding the mandarin orange flavor, you can squeeze out some canned mandarin oranges and add the dry pulp to your cake batter. You might need to adjust the baking soda to accommodate the additional acidity. I do not recommend adding canned mandarin oranges to a filling because it acts weird unless it is kept refrigerated. HTH

khaynes2266 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 7

AMorning. Thanks for the advice. I have the lorann's orange extract. I can actually taste the orange in it today. It's one of those cakes that's better the next day! I know to make it a day in advance. Happy Wednesday!!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 7

I make orange, peach and several other fruity flavored cakes.  I puree a can of fruit and measure the appropriate amount of puree  for the liquid. I often add another quarter or third of a cup of water if the batter seems too stiff.    I also add a packet of dry Jello in the appropriate flavor and an extra egg. As others do, I add grated rind when that's appropriate - and a bit of Lorann flavoring or extracts, depending on the fruit.   Everything else is as the recipe/mix directs.  It makes a very fruity cake with a nice, firm texture.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 7

HI, 

Where I live everyone loves this mandarin orange cake. But the way we make it isn't orange or really taste like orange.

This is the recipe I use.

1 box of yellow cake mix I use pillsbury.

3 eggs

little less than 3/4 cup oil

1 small can of mandarin oranges and the juice

mix , bake 

Topping for filling or both 

14 oz of crushed pineapple with juice

1 small box of instant vanilla pudding

mix together and fold in 1     8 oz tub of coolwhip

spread over cake. 

It is delious! Not too sweet and a favorite.

super easy.and moist 

khaynes2266 Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 5:02am
post #7 of 7

AThanks. That's what I needed to know....the flavor. It tasted orange the next day after it sat in the fridge. My recipe was very similar to yours. Next time I'll use yellow cake mix vs orange. Thanks again.

Happy Baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%