I Hate Rolled Fondant

Decorating By cakelady Updated 24 Jan 2007 , 1:30pm by bethola

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 5:24am
post #1 of 14

I think fondant looks beautiful. However, I do not appreciate the taste or the texture of it. I have a b/g who want a fondant wedding cake. I don't want to impose my feelings on them. They are friends of a good paying customer of mine...she recommended me. I really don't want to do the cake. How can I gently tell them I don't make fondant cakes? What are the pros/cons of fondant cakes? Can they freeze the top tier? Thank you for your support and advice.

13 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 6:09am
post #2 of 14

You know I don't like the taste or texture of fondant either, I prefer IMBC. But if you are doing paid orders you have to be able to provide your customers with what they prefer. If they want fondant, I would do fondant. But I might do a sample cake in buttercream, and hope they would change their minds. icon_rolleyes.gif

Have you tried Fondx brand fondant? It smells so good and really doesn't taste bad, rolls out and goes on so smoothly.

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 6:16am
post #3 of 14

Hi

There are several fondants available. What kind are you using? IF it is wilton, that is understandable, it shouldn't be sold as a food product in my opinion. Satin Ice is wonderful to work with and tastes pretty good, Vanilla flavor. Pettin Ice is butter flavored and really good. I have a recipie to make your own, it isn't hard and you can flavor to any flavor you choose. It is AMAZING to work with. For example, if it tears, you just pick the piece together, rub with the palm of you hand and you never know what happened.
Let me know if you want the recipie. I never used to like working in fondant, but now I love it. Finding the right type really helps.

Good luck
Dawn

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 6:18am
post #4 of 14

I suppose the best policy is always honesty. I am assuming that you have worked with fondant since you mentioned you did not like the taste. You might ask the B/G if they are familiar with the taste and texture of fondant? If they say no, then you might tell them that although the look is beautiful, some people do have problems with the chewiness. If they say yes, then they are aware of its taste and texture. I would simply tell them that although you would love to do their cake that you would feel more comfortable not working with fondant. I suppose it also matters how badly do you want the order. If you don't need the money, then you can be pickly about what you want to do. If you do need the order, or are worried that your good paying customer might be upset that you did not want to do it, why not just do the order. You have already warned the couple, if they make the decision, then you should be in the clear. Sometimes we have to do things that we just don't agree with, but that is part of doing business. I am sorry, but I just don't do fondant cakes, is simple and to the point. Good Luck.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 6:19am
post #5 of 14

Satin Ice is AWESOME!!! not cheap but soooo worth it!

give it a try, you may change your opinion. it has a very delicate soft texture as compared to the others i've tried (wilton and mmf) and rolls out much thinner. it has a flavor like vanilla buttercream, only you roll it out and it seals the cake in. i just bought the dark chocolate satin ice and i look forward to trying that.

the website: in to the oven
( except not separated and add a .com -if i type it together, it changes what i've typed)

very reasonable pricing and LOW shipping, very fast too!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 6:42am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdlady

I have a recipie to make your own, it isn't hard and you can flavor to any flavor you choose. It is AMAZING to work with.

Hi Dawn,

Could you send me a copy of your fondant recipe? I'm always looking to try new recipes.

Thanks bunches!
Sherri
[email protected]

sada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 9:07am
post #7 of 14

Hello Dawn,

I would really like to have your fondant recipe, I use only only self made fondant cos here I can't get any premade. I would like to compare recipes and see what works the best.

Thanks a lot

Sada

[email protected]

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:30am
post #8 of 14

I will add my two cents worth for Satin Ice as well. I recently iced a cake with butter cream underneath then satin ice on top so that way if the people eating the cake don't like the taste of the fondant then they can easly peel it off and eat the buttercream. You can freeze Satin Ice and any fondant for that matter. I am not sure but I would want to risk losing the good customer because of this cake but that is up to you.

Dawn, I would also like your recipe for Fondant and perhaps you could post it so that cakelady can try that as well.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:46am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdlady

I have a recipie to make your own, it isn't hard and you can flavor to any flavor you choose. It is AMAZING to work with.

Hi Dawn,

Could you send me a copy of your fondant recipe? I'm always looking to try new recipes.

Thanks bunches!
Sherri
[email protected]

DITTO! icon_lol.gif

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:48am
post #10 of 14

I will tell you to give fondant another try if you can. It is so forgiving if you give it a chance and there are some good tasting fondants out there. If you reallllly feel like you can not handle working with it I would just politely say that you do not have the experience in working with fondant and that you have amazing BC cakes that you are sure they would enjoy if they want to go that road instead. I am sure that you will do a wonderful job no matter what you decide.

WendyVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyVA Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:50am
post #11 of 14

Some people just don't like working with fondant and that's okay. You CAN just tell your customers that you don't do fondant cakes. You can explain your reasoning if you want or not. It's your choice.

I find that many people change their minds about fondant when I tell them that it's $1 more a serving.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:54am
post #12 of 14

If you really want to grow in this busines, you are gonna need to acomodate to every taste, not only yours, I'm not crazy for separated cakes, I prefer the stacked, but I would never louse a client because of that, remember that every client may bring the next client. You don't like fondant, but in a cake that serves 100 there will be a 100 opinions. I think our job is to make brides happy.
With time you'll get practice, and it will be so easy to use you wont hate it any more. and you can freeze the top, but once you finish your cake you can't put it in the refrigerate.
Don't tell your client that you are not confortable with fondat, if she's to set in the idea she may change to someone who is confortable.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:01pm
post #13 of 14

I have no problem telling people I don't do fondant cakes. If they have their hearts set on fondant, they can go elsewhere. I'm not a commercial baker, just do it as a hobby, and I love my buttercream. I'm not going to charge more for a product that can't compete in taste to what I normally use, and I tell people that.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 14

I only use fondant for my cake embellishments, since most of my clients like buttercream.

I have been fortunate in the past to be able to make buttercream so smooth that people actually THINK it is fondant! I say fortunate, because, well, we all know....sugar IS just sugar and some days are better than others, aren't they?

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%